Squid Ink Pasta

Squid ink pasta is exactly what it sounds like: pasta that's been infused with the black ink from squids! This black pasta is often described as having a briny and slightly salty flavor, which can be paired well with seafood. Spooky...but delicious.

Bone Broth

Bone broth drinks have been popularized for their health benefits in recent years. It can be sipped on its own, used as a base for soups, or used as a replacement for water when cooking grains. Proponents of this spooky trend say that the bone-infused is rich in minerals and boosts immunity. Health claims aside, bone broth seems like something that witches would be brewing in their cauldrons on Halloween night! 

Ghost Pepper

Spooky

mRio on Flickr

This pepper makes the list for its spooky name, and the fact that it’s one of the hottest peppers on the planet. Ghost peppers are almost 400 times hotter than Tabasco Sauce. Yes, you can die from eating ghost pepper, but you probably won’t. It would take about 3 pounds of powdered ghost pepper to be lethal to a 150 lb. person. Still, the thought of trying these peppers sends a shiver down my spine. 

Salted Tarantula

Believe it or not, you can order tarantula legs on Amazon. The spider legs are crunchy, and the meat in the body is said to taste like a cross between chicken and cod. In some countries around the world, like Cambodia, eating fried tarantula is a common delicacy. In America however, many people would be spooked out to eat a spider. 

Ladyfinger Cookies

If most of these options have grossed you out so far, you might be more open to trying Ladyfingers, a sweet spongy biscuit named for the body part that they look like. Ladyfingers are often used in many desserts, including tiramisu, and are available at most supermarkets. These cookies are a slightly spooky Halloween treat that can easily be decorated to look like severed fingers. 

Ant Lollipops

Apparently, ants can be eaten cooked or raw. They don’t taste particularly pleasant on their own but when cooked or covered with other substances, their slightly vinegary taste can be transformed into a tasty source of protein. These lollipops contain real ants and come in flavors like banana, blueberry, apple, and watermelon. Would you try them?

Deviled Eggs

Halloween deviled eggs

Tim Evanson on Flickr

Did you know that deviled eggs are called “deviled” because it was a term used in the 1700’s for food that was flavored to be spicy or zesty? Deviled eggs used to be made with lots of pepper and mustard. To me, it just seems like these eggs are up to no good. 

Earthworm Jerky

There are thousands of earthworm species throughout the world, and all of them are actually safe for human consumption. Their flavors range from slightly fatty to almost bland. Most reviews online have not been favorable. Nonetheless, many companies--including Walmart--still sell these jerkies by the package. I don’t know about you, but something about eating the same specimen I dissected in science lab this week just rubs me the wrong way. 

Black Water

The taste of black water compared to regular water is almost indiscernible. The black water’s dark color is due to the presence of fulvic acid, which is produced by the biodegration of dead organic matter (tasty, right?). This artesian water claims to be rich in electrolytes and trace minerals. But for those of us looking for a mildly spooky experience, this one is a solid choice. 

We hope these food choices were deliciously frightful...

Happy Halloween!