In case you don't know, I'm a theatre person. Since I made my debut in my kindergarten play as Middle Billy Goat Gruff, I knew that theatre was something I wanted to do. Flash-forward to now, and I'm getting a BFA in theatre arts and working at a regional theatre in my hometown. 

Everyday at my work, I'm surrounded by professionals. These are people who have worked tirelessly to achieve their dreams. These are some of the kindest people I've met. These are also some of the fittest people I've met. 

Being a theatre person requires that you take care of your body. Whether you're a dancing salt shaker onstage, or dressing actors offstage, you need to take care of your physical and mental health.

So, I asked some of the cast and crew about what health means to them, how they stay fueled while on the job, and how they take care of themselves during the rigorous rehearsal process.

Stephanie- Actor

beer, cake
Madeleine Mason

Stephanie is a gluten-free goddess. In order to keep up her energy to perform nine shows a week, she omits gluten and dairy from her diet. As she says, "Being healthy allows me to be the fullest in this industry. If I weren't here, I wouldn't be as healthy as I am." Her favorite foods to fuel her body include hard boiled eggs, bananas, and avocado toast. She also highly recommends Udi's gluten free millet chia seed bread. "It's not as processed as other breads, which is hard to find in gluten free breads." 

Emily- Costumes Intern

beer, coffee, tea, pizza, cake, kettle, wine
Madeleine Mason

Being an intern can be very stressful. You can end up working long hours with very little recognition for your efforts. My good friend Emily combats this stress by making sure she takes care of herself. "I like watching YouTube videos with my pets," she says. "I also believe in treating myself." Judging by that bag of Cheeto Puffs, it looks like she's doing a great job of treating herself.

Bryan- Actor

cake, beer, coffee
Madeleine Mason

Dancers are athletes, they need to keep their body in shape and properly fueled to ensure they can do their job. Bryan takes care of himself by making sure to eat lots of protein in his meals. "I also meditate and I quit smoking," he says. Meditation is super helpful in order to sort through stress and anxiety, and it can definitely benefit any lifestyle. And we all know the truth about smoking, so kudos to Bryan for quitting!

Sam and Sarah- Dressers

beer, coffee, wine, tea
Madeleine Mason

There's an age old saying in theatre that your body is your instrument. Sam and Sarah, both young performers, told me that, "You need to be comfortable in your own body. You have to do things that make you feel your best." What wise words from such young people!

Whenever people think of actors, they don't see the hard work that goes into self-care and health. Yes, in order to be a successful actor, you must have training and be able to act on your instincts, but you also need to have a good sense of your body. You need to know how to stay fueled and fulfilled while working such a demanding job. Being healthy in this field transcends what you eat, it's about how you take care of yourself.