Thanksgiving dinner, an American favorite with one setback: its ability to sabotage diets and workouts. No matter how hard we try, it seems impossible to resist the urge of loading absurd servings of turkey, stuffing, and pumpkin pie onto our plates.

The average American consumes 3000 calories on Thanksgiving, at dinner alone. Appetizers, drinks, and desserts bring that total to 4500 calories. Thankfully, there are some things you can do to lessen the impact that Thanksgiving dinner has on your health.

Whether you are trying to build muscle, become more defined, or get lean, here are 5 ways to stay healthy on Thanksgiving!

1. Eat a Healthy Breakfast to Jumpstart Your Metabolism

cereal, milk, pouring milk, bowl of cereal, Cheerios, breakfast

As the saying goes, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Eating a nutritious breakfast will start your metabolism and help prepare you for the rest of the day.

2. Interval Train 

gym, treadmill, run, running, fitness, cardio, indoor gym, exercise, Work Out, working out, Exercising, Health
Denise Uy

High-intensity interval training (HIIT) is a form of cardio that alternates between periods of intense exercise with recovery periods. Not only will HIIT improve your cardiovascular health, but it will also boost your metabolism, like a balanced breakfast. 30 minutes on the treadmill is enough to prepare your body for the holiday.

3. Be Mindful of Drinks

cocktail, martini, alcohol, vodka, juice, tequila, lime
Nicole Cohen

One aspect of dieting that people sometimes neglect is alcoholic drink consumption. Sugary drinks can account for a large portion of calories consumed at Thanksgiving dinner. Opt for water instead of soda, and limit the beer and sugary cocktails by pouring yourself a nice vodka soda if you're over 21.

4. Sample a Little Bit of Everything

canape, cheese, bread, tomato, vegetable, toast, Tapas, appetizer
Amelia Hitchens

In order to diversify your food intake and minimize calories, go for bigger portions of nutritious foods like turkey and veggies and small portions of everything else. However, don't hesitate to try out the other options. After all, Thanksgiving is one giant potluck and you should definitely explore everything your table has to offer (in moderation).

5. Get a Good Night of Sleep

cake, pillow, bed, blanket, sleep, sleeping, nap, napping, girl in bed

After dinner, you'll probably be ready to hit the hay. Sleep can alter hormone levels in the body and a good night's rest can prevent you from craving junk food in the morning. (see How Sleep Deprivation Affects Your Diet). This will help you get back to your normal diet and leave you feeling energetic and ready to hit the stores on Black Friday.