THE GYM...

...the place you always tell yourself to go to when you stuff yourself with stuffing from Thanksgiving dinner; the location you pass by feeling guilty; the space you face all your mental and physical fears in the company of shredded people.

Despite it all, one of the biggest stimuli for anybody to visit the muscle farm–no matter how lazy and down they feel that day–is not the calories they would burn, nor the health benefits they would get, but the cool people there, specifically the instructors.

People need to start taking care of themselves more and understand some simple concepts of a healthy lifestyle.

So, who can inform you about health, diet, and well-being better than these cute gym trainers?

Meet Atlas

Certified personal trainer with expertise in biology, psychology, health, and wellness. Current gym: YMCA Vanderbilt.

Nona Bankova

N: Do you take any supplements/vitamins, and, if so, which ones?

Atlas: Since the supplement industry is unregulated by the FDA, I only take the highest-rated supplements - Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein powder for muscle-building, Beyond Raw: LIT pre-workout powder for energy before exercise, 1MD Krill Oil against inflammation, Cosamin ASU against arthritis, and NatureMade Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc & Vitamin D complex for healthy bones.

N: Do you believe that a healthy diet has a different meaning for men and for women? How so?

Atlas: I don't believe that a healthy diet should mean different things for men and women. But I do believe that the average woman compared to the average man doesn't need to consume as much protein or overall calories, because of lower testosterone levels and a lower average metabolic rate.

N: Low-calorie or more nutritious but higher-calorie foods for a healthy lifestyle?

Atlas: What it comes down to is whether the food is natural and unprocessed or not. The more processing they do, usually the less healthy it is and the more calories it contains.

N: Tell us three important rules to stay fit.

Atlas: 1) Always have a plan for how you'll reach a goal

2) Be consistent in your efforts

3) Be patient as you wait for the results to show

N: Tell us your favorite gym exercise.

Atlas: Probably biking because I can move as fast as I want and really get into my music.

N: What about a healthy meal to cook?

Atlas: Sautéed leafy greens (kale, spinach, etc.), 3 egg whites, 1 egg yolk, some kind of meat, sweet bell peppers, hot sauce, and a side of fruit.

N: How many times a week is a healthy amount for the average man/woman to exercise?

Atlas: It comes down to intensity. I believe people should get some form of exercise in every day, even if it's not in a gym setting. But to exercise at a high intensity every day is unhealthy. Mix up some high and some lower intensity days.

N: Do you eat any sweets?

Atlas: My favorite sweet is definitely ice cream... I try to eat it as little as possible though.

N: Do you drink alcohol or energy drinks/smoke?

Atlas: I drink alcohol a few times a year. I don’t smoke.

N: If you have to exercise, but your energy level is very low, what do you do?

Atlas: Some pre-workout powder and listen to invigorating music.

N: Your favorite protein bar is..

Atlas: Quest Bars

N: Tell us an example of a very healthy and nutritious food/product/ingredient that is underrated, and people need to start eating more of?

Atlas: I don't really believe in super-foods. I just advocate a well-balanced, unprocessed (as much as possible) diet.

Meet Terrence

Personal and group trainer at YMCA Vanderbilt for more than 18 years.

Nona Bankova

Terrence: No, what do I need them for?

Terrence: Women are more self-conscious, and guys just think they can burn whatever they eat. Women will starve themselves; men will eat.

Terrence: Calories are more important for people watching their weight. Nutrition is more important for people watching their health.

Terrence: Consistency, proper technique, and having a higher goal, a reason.

N: Tell us your favorite gym exercise.

Terrence: Regular push-ups–I am a traditional guy.

N: What about a healthy meal to cook?

Terrence: I don’t really cook for myself, but my favorite healthy meal in general would be chicken with broccoli.

Terrence: When in shape and first starting: 4 times a week. Experienced: 6 times a week. Men: 5 days and Women: 6 days.

N: Do you eat any sweets?

Terrence: Chocolate Chip Cookies from Subway.

Terrence: No.

Terrence: Light cardio and eat fruits–natural sugar will give your body energy.

N: Your favorite protein bar is...

Terrence: I don’t touch that stuff.

Terrence: Peanut butter–it's protein and quick energy.

Meet Stanislav

Personal trainer at Equinox for 4 years.

Nona Bankova

Stanislav: Nothing serious, just some whey protein and multi-vitamins.

Stanislav: People should get all of their macro and micro nutrients in their diet, but every person has different needs. There are definite gender differences in requirements (such as more iron for women), but each person is unique, so what could be an optional diet for one person, might not be optimal for another.

N: Low-calorie foods or nutritious but higher-calorie food for a healthy lifestyle?

Stanislav: Depends. You always want to make sure that you get all of your nutrients, no matter what the caloric target is. Low-calorie versus high-calorie becomes an important question once weight targets are set, and the person needs to decide whether they need a caloric surplus or a caloric deficit.

Stanislav: Exercise well, eat well, recover well.

N: Tell us your favorite gym exercise.

Stanislav: Deadlift. Works the whole posterior chain.

N: What about a healthy meal to cook?

Stanislav: Nothing fancy. Eggs with spring mix. No dressing.

Stanislav: At least 3 times a week for an hour or so.

N: Do you eat any sweets?

Stanislav: Yes, chocolate and ice cream.

Stanislav: No!

Stanislav: Coffee and a couple of bananas.

N: Your favorite protein bar is..

Stanislav: Don't really have one. I normally just read the ingredient label. The fewer items on that label, the better.

Stanislav: I'm not sure about "underrated," but people need to eat more vegetables. Most people know that, but they just don't do it.