This inexpensive, dorm-friendly overnight oats recipe is simple and fast. It can be completely personalized for your taste and mood and health preferences. It's the perfect breakfast for a rushed morning because all the prep was done while you were asleep.

I love this recipe because it requires almost zero time to prep and it's ready to eat in the morning in less time than my coffee takes to brew. You can literally roll out of bed and you breakfast is ready to eat.  This is one of the first things I made in my room when I was bored of the same old dining commons bagels. It has less than five ingredients and can be smothered in chocolate. That is the type of cooking I am always trying to do.

This is just the basic recipe to get you started, but the possibilities are endless. Follow this recipe to make one serving, or stock up on enough base for a few days. Each morning you can add a different topping or make it the same everyday. Just pop it in the microwave, grab a spoon, and take the jar to go.

The fiber of the oats keep you full through morning classes while the yogurt packs protein. In a mason jar, it travels easily and with no mess. You can keep it simple and healthy with some fruit toppings and a dash of cinnamon, beef it up with protein powder and chia seeds, or indulge with chocolate chips.

Get fancy with  your different grains and/or milk, to make this recipe soy, dairy, and gluten free. Even the ratios can be tweaked if you like your oats to be more milky and smooth, or firm and flavorful. The recipe below is just a start to keep you from getting too overwhelmed, but it does not need to be strictly followed.

Check out these other recipes for brownie batter, pumpkin spice, and even gluten free almond joy overnight oats from the Spoon community practicing its breakfast creativity. Make your own overnight oats and tag us on Instagram. Use the tag #forgefeed.

Overnight Oats

• Cook Time:6 hrs
  • Total Time:6 hrs 5 mins

• 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1/4 cup yogurt any flavor
  • 1/4 cup milk your choice
  • Optional Toppings - dry or fresh fruit chocolate chips nuts seeds or protein powder
milk, sweet, oatmeal, rice, porridge
Christin Urso

Combine your base of oats, yogurt, and milk in an air tight container, like a mason jar or plastic storage container. Old fashion oats are best because they soak better, but steel cut can be used. They require more liquid and are little more chewy in the morning. I use plain Greek yogurt in my overnight oats for a little more protein. For milk, I use unsweetened almond.

Rolled oats, grain, handful of oats, handful, hands, barley, oatmeal, oat, pasture, corn, wheat, cereal

Refrigerate for at least six hours so oats can be softened by the liquid.

muesli, dairy product, yogurt, cereal, chocolate, sweet, cream, milk
    Meredith Ross

After soaking, oats can be served cold or hot. For warm oats, microwave for about a minute.

sweet, cereal, corn, milk, popcorn
    Hana Brannigan

Add toppings. Try out combinations like banana and chocolate chips or almond butter and strawberry jam.

oatmeal, butter, cereal, peanut, peanut butter, banana
    Timary Malley