Nothing brings back childhood memories quite like the feeling of a grilled cheese sandwich in your mitts. To bring back a little nostalgia with a bit of a grown-up twist, I bring you the pesto grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup on the side. Nothing’s better than sinking your teeth into warm, melted cheese and toasted, crunchy bread and washing it down with some hot tomato-y goodness. You really can’t go wrong with a little pesto for that extra bit of flavor. Whether you like to dip or dunk, it’s hard not to gobble up this sophisticated version of your favorite childhood sandy. You can buy both pesto and tomato soup at your local grocery store, and you can use any type of cheese that your little heart desires. So kick back, crunch, dunk and relax.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5-10 minutes
Total Time: 10-15 minutes
½ cup of tomato soup
2 slices of bread
1. Pour your tomato soup into a sauce pan and turn the stove to medium heat while you prepare your sandwich. You don’t have to worry much about the soup while making your sandwich, just make sure it doesn’t bubble over. (Follow the instructions on the box or can for cooking the soup.)
2. If you’re not using a pre-sliced loaf of bread, start by slicing your bread.
3. Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread.
4. On the opposite side of one of the slices, liberally smear on some pesto (more or less depending on your preferences.)
5. Place your pesto-ed slice of bread butter side down on your pan and turn the heat to medium.
6. While the bread is toasting, place your cheese on the pesto-ed bread. Feel free to use as much as you want.
7. Place the second slice of bread on top. Make sure the buttered side is facing outward.
8. Flip sandwich after about a 1 ½ minutes. (Your bread should be crisping up nicely about now.)
9. Take sandwich off the pan once its cooked to your liking.
10. Serve soup hot in a bowl and enjoy!