For anyone on the Paleo diet looking for a muffin recipe that fits with the restrictions of the diet, or for those looking for a healthy alternative to banana bread, this paleo banana muffin recipe is for you! I found this recipe on PaleoGrub and I don't know if I'll ever want to eat regular banana bread again. 

The Paleo diet is also referred to as the "cave-man" or "stone-age" diet and is based on foods that are believed to have been available to paleolithic people. I myself am not paleo but am always looking for healthy alternatives when it comes to baked goods. When something tastes delicious but is still nourishing, it's probably my favourite thing.

On the Paleo diet, you can eat meat, fish, eggs, vegetables, fruit, seeds, nuts, herbs and spices, and healthy fats and oils. For this diet, you stay away from processed foods, sugar, soft drinks, grains, dairy products, legumes, artificial sweeteners, and trans fats. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy sweet treats like these paleo banana muffins though! 

Paleo Banana Mufins

• 1-2 teaspoons honey or maple syrup optional
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil melted
  • 1/2 cup coconut or almond flour
  • 4 eggs
  • 4 ripe bananas mashed
butter, chocolate, peanut, peanut butter
Kourtney Meldrum

To start, preheat your oven to 350°F.

Kourtney Meldrum

Mash the bananas in a bowl with either a whisk or mixer. Into the bowl of mashed bananas, add the eggs and beat them well. Then add the coconut oil, vanilla, and maple syrup or honey (if wanted) before mixing again.

cereal, coffee, milk
    Kourtney Meldrum

In a separate bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients. Then slowly combine them to the other mixture.

chocolate, bread, cream, sweet
    Kourtney Meldrum

Line your muffin tin with cupcake liners and spoon the batter into each liner. Bake these for 35-30 minutes until they appear golden brown or you can insert a toothpick into them and it comes out clean. 

pizza
    Kourtney Meldrum

After they've cooled for about 5 minutes, take them and place them on a wire rack to avoid the liners becoming soggy. 

candy, pastry, cake, sweet, chocolate
    Kourtney Meldrum

These muffins taste best when warm, so try heating them up before you bite into one. Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container.

cake, cookie, chocolate
    Kourtney Meldrum

For this recipe, I changed a few things from the original recipe to fit my own needs. I used maple syrup to sweeten up the muffins and definitely added a bit more than two tablespoons. Also, I put in about half the amount of ginger because lots of it can make me feel sick. Next time I bake these I'm definitely going to throw in some cacao nibs to mix it up!

When I'm eating these, I always warm them up for about 30 seconds in the microwave and sometimes throw in a few different berries to have warm on top. I challenge you to see how long these muffins will last in your house. They're delicious, and, dare I say, better than actual banana bread?

If you're loving these muffins, you might want to check out some other paleo muffin recipes like these blueberry muffins or these apple cinnamon muffins