Say good-bye to your sad, supermarket bread because nothing could be better than this fragrant, cinnamon-scented loaf of bread. The key behind these heavenly pillows are a pureed version of an exotic fruit otherwise known as persimmons.

Persimmons are orange, disk-like fruits that are sweet when ripe and make a great natural sweetener for baked recipes. This recipe gives the traditional, butter-laden loaves of bread a healthy remodeling by using apple sauce to replace oils and butters.

By adding organic ingredients and whole wheats, this persimmon bread recipe makes for a nutritious and delicious breakfast or snack.

Persimmon Loaf Bread

• Total Time:1 hr 5 mins

• 2 cups organic whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 cups organic coconut sugar
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup apple sauce
  • 1/2 cup pureed persimmon
Sandra Shu

Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon together in a bowl. Then whisk the dry ingredients together to ensure that the ingredients are evenly distributed.

milk, cream, ice, flour

Using a different bowl, combine the apple sauce, almond milk, egg, persimmon puree, and vanilla extract. Thoroughly mix the wet ingredients together.

soup, hummus

Slowly combine the dry and wet ingredients together and mix until a batter is formed. To ensure thorough distribution, be sure to give the batter one last whirl with a spatula at the end.

chicken, pork, pepper, rice

Grease a loaf pan and pour the batter into the pan. Make sure to evenly spread and smooth out the top of the batter throughout the pan.

flour, bread

Bake the persimmon bread for 45-50 minutes at 350°F. To ensure that the bread is fully cooked, press down on the top of the persimmon bread and look for a firm texture. You could also try inserting a toothpick into the middle to see if it comes out clean.

cake, wheat, bread

Allow the loaf to fully cool on a cooling rack before slicing and enjoying.