Loaded with essential vitamins and minerals such as potassium, calcium, magnesium, and iron, bananas pose many health benefits including ease in digestion and heart health. But don't you hate when bananas become so ripe they turn brown and are too mushy to eat on their own? Yeah, same here. This dark chocolate chip banana bread is the ideal solution to put those overripe bananas to good use. Delicious, wholesome, naturally sweetened, and only ten minutes to throw together—What could be better when you have some overripe bananas to use up? Nothing. Bake a big loaf in the oven to fill the house with a delectable banana bread aroma that can't be achieved with any candle scent. I love it topped with sliced banana, which enhances the sweet banana flavor, crunchy walnuts, and dark chocolate chips.

One Bowl Dark Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

• Total Time:1 hr

• 3 large bananas
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
  • 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup coconut sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
  • 2 cups almond flour
  • 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
Yasmine McCroden

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan and set aside.

Yasmine McCroden

In a large bowl, mash the banana until almost smooth. Stir the wet ingredients (eggs, milk, melted oil, maple syrup, and vanilla) into the banana until combined.

Yasmine McCroden

Add the dry ingredients (sugar, baking powder, salt, and flour) into the wet mixture, one by one. Gently fold in dark chocolate chips to finish.

Yasmine McCroden

Spoon the dough into the loaf pan and spread out evenly. If desired, place chopped banana on top for extra banana flavor, raw walnut halves for crunch, and chocolate chips for even more decadence.

Yasmine McCroden

Bake the loaf uncovered for 45 to 55 minutes until lightly golden and firm on top. Cool for 30 minutes and enjoy!

Yasmine McCroden

While there may be countless other ways to utilize overripe bananas, such as fruit smoothies, banana peanut butter milkshakes, or banana pancakes, banana bread always comes out on top. And no other banana bread than this dark chocolate chip banana bread topped with chopped walnuts.

This recipe can also be transformed into bite-size muffins by spooning the batter into a muffin tin if you're more of a muffin kind of person.

I am definitely no Martha Stewart in the kitchen, but this dark chocolate chip banana bread can't get any easier to make in just one bowl. Simply follow the steps outlined above and you too can make a fool-proof banana bread that makes for a somewhat healthy breakfast, dessert, or home-made gift idea (because who doesn't like banana, and better yet banana and chocolate together). I highly recommend enjoying it warmed up with a drizzle of peanut butter or almond butter and a side of cold milk. You can also modify the recipe and add peanut butter right in the batter if you are a peanut butter fanatic. 

So, the next time you have overripe bananas on hand, which I'm sure will be sooner than you think, remember that those bananas don't have to go to waste. Instead, they can be reconstructed into this nutritious one bowl dark chocolate chip banana bread that appeals to the sweet tooth in all of us.