The most wonderful time of the year is upon us. With it comes Christmas lights and decorations, and of course food. One of the most traditional drinks to have over the holidays is eggnog, but in my family we make something a little different. Now you can make it too with this simple coquito recipe.

Coquito is the Puerto Rican version of eggnog. It has a similar consistency to eggnog, except it has a coconut base instead of eggs and heavy cream. It is traditionally made during the holiday season to share with friends and family, and it also makes a great Christmas present too. (Yes, I've done this, and they loved it.)

There are different ways of making coquito like adding vanilla ice cream or using spiced rum instead of the traditional white rum, but for me the best coquito is the classic and simple recipe.

Spanish Eggnog-Coquito

• Cook Time:2 hrs
  • Total Time:2 hrs 10 mins

• 1 can evaporated milk
  • 1 can condensed milk
  • 1 can coconut cream
  • 1 cup white rum I recommend Bacardi Superior
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 cinnamon sticks
Alexandra Torres-Perez

Pour the evaporated milk, condensed milk and coconut cream in a blender. Blend for a few seconds.

Alexandra Torres-Perez

Add 1 cup of Bacardi Superior or any white rum of your choice.

#SpoonTip: You can make your coquito stronger by adding an extra half cup...or more.

Alexandra Torres-Perez

Add your cinnamon and vanilla.

Alexandra Torres-Perez

Blend for a couple of minutes until you see little bubbles on top.

Alexandra Torres-Perez

In an empty container, put two cinnamon sticks.

Alexandra Torres-Perez

Pour your drink into the container with cinnamon sticks. There will be chunks of coconut cream, and that's okay.

Alexandra Torres-Perez

Chill overnight or until the drink is cold.

Alexandra Torres-Perez

Shake well and pour yourself some holiday spirit.

Alexandra Torres-Perez

Coquito is a bit dangerous. Remember there is alcohol in this even if you don't taste it, so please drink responsibly!