It's no secret that New York City is known for its food.  The city that never sleeps is home to many delicious classics as well as some modern creations.  NYC has some of the craziest milkshakes, creative brunches, and coolest food mash-ups.  Luckily for plant-based New Yorkers, the Big Apple also has a ton of vegan options. While there are many awesome places to get healthy salads and warm grain bowls, the city also has some great places to get vegan versions of classic NYC foods. So grab your metro card and start your vegan food tour

Bagel Sandwich

Pazit Schrecker

There's no denying that bagels are a famed food in NYC. While we're still not 100 percent sure what makes them so much better than in other parts of the country, New Yorkers are lucky to have this delicious (and cheap) breakfast sold on just about every corner. If you want something a little more classic, head to Tomkins Square Bagels and try one of their  10 plus vegan cream cheeses, ranging from plain to sun-dried tomato. Or, if you're like me and not a huge cream cheese fan, head to just about any deli and order a bagel with peanut butter or avocado (aka the best foods in the universe)

Reuben Sandwich 

This New York classic is a sandwich that traditionally consists of rye bread, sauerkraut, pastrami (or corned beef), Swiss cheese, and Russian dressing.  While Katz's Delicatessen's famous version isn't exactly vegan-friendly, the incredibly realistic version from Champs Diner is. This tastes (and looks) just like the real thing

Cheesecake

Sun in Bloom's raw cheesecake might not be *exactly* the same as the famous one from Junior's, but it's definitely worth a try. Made from cashews, the super creamy cheesecake filling tops a crunchy nut-based crust and comes in several quintessential flavors. Make sure to try the blueberry and key-lime pie!

Donuts

Insane donuts might not be the *most* traditional food, but they're definitely having a moment on the New York food scene right now. To get your fix, try the donuts from The Cinnamon Snail, an all vegan fast food joint with a food truck and a location near Penn Station. Good luck deciding between the pistachio cardamom and peanut cookie dough.

Cheeseburgers

While it's true that burgers are not a solely a New York food, the city does have some top-rated burger restaurants. While most of the famous burger restaurants offer some sort of token veggie burger, it can be hard to find an exciting vegan alternative. However, Chickpea & Olive steps it up with this ultimate vegan beet burger topped with dairy-free cheese and avocado. Order the Calexico burger at either the Whole Foods Williamsburg or Smorgasburg location and you won't regret it.

Soft Pretzels

As shocking as this might be, many of the plain, salted, soft pretzels sold out of carts on the sidewalk in the city are actually vegan! New York Pretzel LLC, the major supplier of the famed street-cart snack features ingredients for all of its products online, so plant-based foodies can enjoy this classic favorite too.

Pizza

No list of New York City foods could be considered complete without mentioning pizza.  Known for a thin and crispy crust, pizza is one of the foods that people actually travel to NYC for. Thankfully, there's more than one place serving up vegan slices. Head over to Double Zero, a 100% plant-based restaurant that offers eight different pizzas topped with an assortment of nut-based cheeses, mushrooms, onions, vegan bacon, and more. 

Next time you are in the city, be sure to stop by one of these vegan friendly eateries, even if you are not solely a plant eater, it will be worth it!