It's no secret that eating out in Amsterdam is quite pricey, but you don't need to spend a lot of money to dine well. And you definitely don't need to feel like you're missing out on any fancy dining experience because of the size of your wallet. Cheap eats in Amsterdam are abundant and they're usually the ones to offer you food in large quantities resembling a home-cooked meal. 

As a student living here, having a go-to cheap eat is essential. Amsterdam is buzzing with many hole-in-the-wall restaurants and cool concepts to offer you a unique eating experience that may not even cost you more than five euros. Better yet, the cheap eats in Amsterdam raise money for social and political causes or work to build awareness against food waste. 

If you need to get away from your kitchen and all that Albert Heijn food (not that we're hating on you appie!), then make your way to one of these cheap eats in Amsterdam.

1. Getto Food & Drinks

With prices ranging from 5,50 and 13 euros, Getto Food & Drinks is great for broke students. From the looks of this picture, they seem to have an amazing range of drinks.

2. Piqniq

Piqniq offers coffees, lunch, and snacks, and is open from 9.00 until 17.00 everyday, so it's a great place to go to satisfy your immediate cravings without having to eat a full-on meal. If you're not convinced, maybe their cute cat will help you get there.

3. Foodism by friends

All the dishes available at Foodism by Friends are under 10 euros, and the restaurant itself is in West, which is always a great place to hang out.

4. Belushi's Amsterdam

The prices at Belushi's are definitely affordable, and they even offer for you to share your dishes (#studentlifehacks). Plus, their happy hour lasts until 9 pm.

5. Snckbr

The very reasonable prices available at SNCKBR make up for their lack of vowels. What's also good about this place is that they have a variety of absolutely delicious vegetarian and vegan dishes as well.

6. Azmarino

Azmarino serves great East African food (mainly Eritrean and Ethiopian), and each dish costs about 10 euros.

7. Upstairs Pannenkoekenhuis

Upstairs Pannenkoeken is the place to get your fix of authentic Dutch pancakes for a reasonable amount of money. You even have to climb up a set of extremely steep stairs in order to get to the restaurant, which will provide you with the perfect workout and will make you feel like you deserve those beautiful pancakes—a perfect Dutch experience.

8. Maoz

Maoz is a falafel fast food chain, which means it is exclusively vegetarian, and it is very easy to make your order vegan. The very best part is that you get unlimited re-fills so that you never run out of veggies or toppings.

9. Vapiano

Vapiano makes the best pizza and pasta dishes for an affordable price. They are also veg-friendly!

10. Hummus House

Everything at the Hummus House is fresh, handmade, and under 10 euros. And, I mean, it's basically a whole restaurant dedicated to hummus—what more is there to say? 

11. Goodies

What can you get at Go for Goodies? The sign in the picture says prosecco and pasta—enough said. 

12. Burger Bar

Just like Goodies, the Burgerbar says it all in the name. Hit up this place if you're looking for a wide range of burgers for cheap prices.

13. Komagene

Komagene specialises in wraps where you can choose all the fillings. So go as healthy or unhealthy as you want. 

14. Skek

For a student-run café, Skek is pretty reasonably priced, but the catch here is that they offer a 25% discount for students.

15. Sugo Pizza

Sugo offers great pizza for about 3 euros a piece, and a range of salads and drinks. It's definitely worth trying out if you're looking for something cheap in de Pijp, as it isn't always easy to find.

16. Cafe Trust

Cafe Trust offers a pay-as-you-feel system, and serve food made with love. Meals also come with inspirational quotes, so you'll definitely feel better after having food here.

17. Joe's Garage

You get a very homey feeling when you eat at Joe's Garage. Not only is it very cozy, but you will also be able to meet really cool people. As it is a squatted social political centre, the money raised (about 5 euros for an entire vegan meal) is sent in support of political prisoners, which is another great reason to give this place a try.

18. MKZ

MKZ is a great place to meet interesting people as it is run by volunteers who share a common passion for food and current world issues. A three-course dinner only costs 5 euros, and everything is vegan.

19. Taste Before You Waste

This initiative not only provides you with a delicious (mostly vegan) meal for very cheap (it's a pay-as-you-feel system), it also aims at raising awareness about food waste and how to avoid it. In any case, your money will definitely be well spent if you go and support this awesome project.

There are many more cheap places to eat out in Amsterdam especially for those days you just can't be bothered to cook your own food. So take this opportunity to get out and explore this beautiful city, and if any more tips are needed check out this article about how to eat affordably in Amsterdam.