This past semester, the Herman B. Wells Library debuted its newest RPS dining option: the Bookmark[et] Eatery. Yes, it was time. With arguably great food courts few and far between here in Bloomington, IU needed to step up its food game to compete with dining halls like these.

But instead of simply opening another food court that makes students yet again say “eh”, IU knocked it out of the park. With the Bookmark[et]’s combined theme of local favorites and healthy international cuisine, the food is fresh, tasty, and dare I say almost homey.

Rightly called a “global eatery”, the Bookmark[et] not only offers pre-packaged organic/gluten-free/vegan snacks, and five micro-restaurants featuring rotating plates, but an experience. The journey starts with a thrilling trip down the escalator to the newly-renovated lower-level of Wells, where you come face-to- face with The Coffee Bean. That’s right, The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf.

Wells

Photo by Sabrina Dorow

If you live under a rock and aren’t aware of what this specialty coffee and tea retailer is, you’re really missing out on premium hot and cold drinks and blends from around the world. Not to mention delicious pastries including donuts, bagels, cinnamon rolls and more (if you can believe it!). Be sure to try their signature Original Ice Blended Drink – with or without coffee, it’s your call – and I promise you won’t regret it.

With your specialty drink in hand, you open the doors to the Bookmark[et] and can’t stop smiling from the overwhelming sense of innovation and freshness that literally envelops you as you walk in. To your right are the Bloomingfoods pre-packaged items such as egg salad sandwiches on croissants, bacon and penne pasta salad, and vegan hummus and other spreads (of course all made fresh each day).

Wells

Photo by Sabrina Dorow

In front of you sits the The Traveler, a micro-restaurant with rotating meals inspired by destinations around the world (like Spain, India, Korea, and Thailand) that are all DELISH. And with the ever-growing population of international students, the line for these plates is always out the door. But wait, there’s more.

Next to The Traveler is Panino Mio (aka panini city/heaven). Although I haven’t personally been able to taste these yummy creations due to my highly regrettable choice to give up sandwiches for lent (much like these withdrawals ugh), they are a huge hit. From the regular favorite meat options, to vegetarian, and even a s’mores and Nutella dessert panini, you can’t go wrong.

The third and final venue is catered by the one and only Scholars Inn Bakehouse. With a menu comprised of a line of bomb Bakehouse burgers, the Bookmark[et] eatery has proven its amazingness. And if you get there bright and early, you can even indulge and start your day right with breakfast items including fluffy fresh toast and egg delights.

Wells

Photo by Sabrina Dorow

If you aren’t convinced that you need to visit Wells ASAP for an experience so good it’s out of this world, I haven’t even gotten to the dessert: Crema Dolce. Serving an array of ice cream treats from B-Town’s own Chocolate Moose and gelato (from Indy’s Gelato Da Vinci), the Bookmark[et] Eatery completes its theme of international flavors with a cherry on top.

So the next time you hear your stomach grumble while studying at the lib, don’t just automatically reach for your phone for the same old Pizza-X or Jimmy Johns, but try out the new Bookmark[et] Eatery that will take you on an adventure around the world.