San Francisco is one of the easiest cities to have a picnic with its several parks and green spaces, which means narrowing down your ideal location can be quite a challenge. And with all these food options, how will you ever choose what to bring? Never fear, help is here.

Scroll down to reveal the ultimate picnic guide to the city of a thousand views and start planning your next weekend outing. Whether you’re looking for a place to take a love interest or spot to blaze up and eat with the boys, you’ll find that San Francisco has a lot of great options and will not disappoint.

All of the spots mentioned have been SF Native-approved.

1. A Mayflower Market sandwich at Alta Plaza Park

san francisco

Photo courtesy of 
@big_girls_taketheworld on Instagram

The perfect way to spend an afternoon in Pacific Heights walking your dog or smoking a blunt with friends is with a sandwich in hand. Sit on one of the many benches in Alta Plaza park with a view of Lower Pacific Heights.

#SpoonTip: The south side’s got the views.

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @sydneyteske on Instagram

2. Anything from Tacko at the benches next to The Saint Francis Yacht Club

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @_food_me_ on Instagram

Enjoy the breeze off the bay with a Baja Fish Taco or one of Tacko’s incredible California Burritos (yah know, the one with french fries) for a flavorful and serene San Francisco beach experience.

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @iwonaroman on Instagram

3. A sub from Marina Submarine at the Lyon Street Steps

san francisco

Photo courtesy of Maya W. on Yelp

Walk down to a bench and take in the view of the bay and the beautiful houses with a fully-loaded sub.

#SpoonTip: Spring for the avocado and bring lots of napkins.

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @hanncory on Instagram

4. A slice from Tony’s Pizza Napoletana at The San Francisco Art Institute

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @ieatsf on Instagram

Anywhere you sit at SFAI is going to be beautiful and any one of the cool flavor combinations from Tony’s is going to be insane. Grab a seat on the roof with views of North Beach and the bay or snag a bench in the peaceful courtyard and watch students scurry to class.

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @marcodavidviz on Instagram

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @dotandpin on Instagram

5. A sandwich from Jackson Place Cafe at Napier Lane

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @eatsmeetswes on Instagram

This is seriously a rare place for even natives to know about, but is easily one of the most beautiful alleyways in the world. Once you get through the greenery, there is a bench before the last staircase with a dope view of the bay and the Embarcadero.

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @armstrongmeg on Instagram

6. A sandwich or salad from La Boulangerie de Hayes at Tank Hill

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @albins22 on Instagram

Take a trip up to one of the best panoramic views of the city. It’s a bit of trek, but totally worth it. Soak up the city and watch the fog roll in over Twin Peaks with a dank open faced sandwich or the Warm Goat Cheese Salad which is a La Boulange classic.

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @gwangsta on Instagram

7. A sandwich from Lou’s Cafe at the Music Concourse

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @extrappetite on Instagram

There are almost too many beautiful spots to snack in GGP, but the Spreckels Temple of Music has tons of benches facing fountains, the California Academy of Sciences and the deYoung. It’s the perfect place to regain your strength and people watch after a long day walking in the park.

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @willdabeast45 on Instagram

8. A hot dog from Underdog at The Golden Gate Heights Mosaic Stairway

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @milkyd0ll on Instagram

Underdog offers some of the most creative dog options in the city AND these stairs are easily one of the most special places in San Francisco as well. Both of these places are very under the radar and should definitely be appreciated more for the color and flavor they bring to the Sunset District.

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @edcastaneda15 on Instagram

9. A sandwich from the Legion of Honor Cafe at Lands End Labyrinth

san francisco

Photo courtesy of Hazel C. on Yelp

One of the hidden treasures of San Francisco is this huge and intricate labyrinth made of large rocks just off the Lands End Coastal Trail. The cafe inside the Legion of Honor is also a little known delicious secret inside the beautiful art museum with elegant entrees and decadent desserts. Put them together you have an elegant lunch on the water with a view of the Golden Gate Bridge.

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @lizbattles on Instagram

10. A slice from Escape from New York Pizza at the AIDS Memorial Grove

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @soniafigone on Instagram

A slice of this Pesto and Roasted Garlic Pizza is a must try on Haight Street, which is in great proximity to many beautiful spots in Golden Gate Park. This is one of the most magical parts of GGP and is easy to miss if you aren’t looking for it, but if you happen upon this lush garden and babbling brook you are guaranteed a perfect picnic.

#SpoonTip: It is federal land, so save the kush for before and after.

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @evaruane on Instagram

11. Good Luck Dim Sum at Stow Lake

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @pajustz on Instagram

Rent a row boat and chow down on some fire Dim Sum on this awesome aquatic feature of GGP. There is also a gazebo, multiple bridges and a few waterfalls that you can set up camp by and enjoy some authentic city flavor in an ethereal setting.

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @endeavoursofagentleman on Instagram

12. A bahn mi from Cafe Bunn Mi at Mountain Lake Park

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @thereshecooks on Instagram

Just a short walk from Clement Street, Mountain Lake Park has benches in some little nooks and crannies with views of the lake and the playground in a gorgeous neighborhood. These sandwiches have super fresh ingredients and perfectly seasoned meats, coming together to create the ideal family picnic spot.

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @_melissal_ on Instagram

13. A sandwich and scoop from Bi-Rite Market at Alamo Square

san francisco

Photo courtesy of Natasha S. on Yelp

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @hungrybunnee on Instagram

Not only does Bi-Rite have an insane variety of delicious food with their custom sandwich deli and mini creamery, but it’s in a historic neighbor and is just a block away from one of the most popular attractions of the city. Sit on the grass and enjoy your lunch while gazing at the Painted Ladies and SF skyline, but first, make sure to stop by BASA for a pre-roll.

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @sevenseas_english_academy on Instagram

14. A dog from Rosamunde Sausage Grill at the Top of Duboce Ave at Buena Vista Park

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @erik_bang on Instagram

If you can, park your car along the palm trees, spark up a doobie and go in on a duck sausage with grilled onions you’ll do it right. This the perfect 4:20 picnic spot because of the little wind exposure and proximity to Haight and Divisadero Street for post-feasting activities.

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @matthewherrington on Instagram

15. A sandwich from Ike’s Place at Corona Heights Park

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @choomshika on Instagram

Either way, if you sit facing north East or South you are going to have an insane view of different neighborhoods while simultaneously eating one of the most famous sandwiches in the Bay Area.

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @taylor_atx of Instagram

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @greg7y on Instagram

16. Cookies from Hot Cookie on Kite Hill Open Space

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @hellafoodies on Instagram

If you grew up in SF, you probably know Hot Cookie as having the most delicious and phallic way to ask someone to prom. But they actually have warm cookies until 2 am and flavors like toffee and double chocolate that will melt your face off. Drag a bag of these treats to this remote residential look out for a late afternoon pick me up. Remember to check out the slides too.

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @doowaighne76 on Instagram

17. Pastries from Tartine Bakery at the top of Mission Dolores Park

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @debraleong on Instagram

There are a lot of amazing places close to DP, but Tartine Bakery is only a few blocks away and has made a name for itself with incredible pastries and sandwiches with organic flour and local eggs. Walk up to the top bench on the corner of 20th and Church Street or sit in the grass and enjoy the sounds of children playing and people getting lit.

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @twosidedtravels on Instagram

18. A burrito from Taqueria El Buen Sabor on Bernal Hill Park

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @grubshotnyc on Instagram

One of the best panoramic views in the city is definitely meant to be enjoyed alongside a flavorful El Buen Sabor burrito. When you are eating up there, take a moment of silence for Alex Nieto and his family and appreciate a real San Franciscan who was killed by the police in one of his favorite places. This burrito’s for you, Alex! #JusticeForAlexNieto

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @monicaguo on Instagram

19. A sub from Subs Inc. on Billy Goat Hill

san francisco

Photo courtesy of Ed U. on Yelp

Billy Goat Hill is one of the many spectacular vantage points in Noe Valley equipped with an awesome swing perfect for a sweet Instagram post, but make sure your massive sandwich gets in the picture, preferably the Dimaggio or the Turkey Cranberry Melt.

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @ktstepanyuk on Instagram

20. A daily focaccia or pizza from Arizmendi Bakery at Grand View Park

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @kouign.bee on Instagram

Grand View is one of the most under-rated panoramic view points in the city and is an unreal place to catch the sunset or go on a morning hike with a plethora of baked goodies. Try a scone and their daily pizza by the slice, they are legendary.

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @meechupeechuu on Instagram

21. A Freddie’s Sandwich at the end of Telegraph Hill Boulevard

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @tony_vs_food on Instagram

Freddie’s has been making delicious sandwiches since 1926 and the semi-hard sourdough with chicken salad is one of its must-haves. You have to climb several hills, but the view from the base of Coit Tower is well worth the trek.

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @tterian on Instagram

22. Dumplings from Shanghai Dumpling King at Mount Davidson Park

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @gcheung28 on Instagram

Call in for take-out and order literally any dumpling you desire and it will be fire. Mount Dave is not only one of SF’s premier kegger spots but is also known for its choice views of Sutro Tower, downtown and basically the whole city culminating into an A+ picnic spot.

san francisco

Photo courtesy of @wildwildernesswomen on Instagram

Now go forth and picnic in this glorious city. Remember to bring napkins!