I'm obsessed with sweet potatoes. It all started 5 months ago and since then, I have been eating a potato a day (or almost). I would define this obsession as a true and real sweet potato-based diet. I've never felt more energetic throughout the day and my skin is glowing. 

So, I decided to do my research and I found out that sweet potatoes are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. Classified as one of the top 5 healthiest foods on the planet, sweet potatoes are rich in vitamins (especially A and C), potassium which is essential for the stimulation of neural activity, minerals, fibers and other several properties. 

Well-known as antioxidant and anti-inflammatory, sweet potatoes are capable to lower potential risk of cancer, diabetes or being harmed by the ingestion of heavy metals. Moreover, they are excellent for our skin and hair. Indeed, they have been proven to work as moisturizer, tonic, and to favor hair growth and shine. These are not simple words people, I tested it myself. My hair is growing at an uncontrollable pace!

Don't throw the skin away because it doubles the amount of fiber and other nutrients on your plate. 

Asia Rosso

Sweet potatoes have a LOT of beta-carotene which gives them that bright orange hue that, besides being lovely for our Instagram pics, is essential for our body. Beta-carotene is rich of vitamin A which helps protect our skin from sun damage and prevents premature aging. According to the U.S. National Institute of Health, a singular potato can give us 561% of the recommended daily intake of vitamin A (fab!).   

Worried about sugar content? Believe it or not, we break down sugar of sweet potatoes much slower than we do for normal potatoes and this means that this amazing food will not drive to that awful feeling caused by sharp spikes on our blood sugar. Indeed, sweet potatoes help regulate blood glucose inside our body and it is proven to be lit for diabetics.

Last but not least, sweet potatoes have been proven to be a “fit food”. A study published by the The Journal in Medicinal Food discovered that sweet potatoes extracts were able to shrink fat cells in test tubes. In addition, thanks to the their high content of dietary fiber, they help absorb water in excess and control hunger. I see it as a “hello summer body".

The crucial question is "Could we live on a sweet potato-based diet?"

As long as it doesn't turn into a single-food diet, there is no danger in having a potato a day. Our bodies needs 20 amino acids to properly build proteins and sweet potatoes contain them all. 

My sweet potato-based diet sees sweet potatoes as one of the main ingredient, in salads or as a side. You can also blend potatoes and make delicious smoothies, soups or hummus. I also use them as a replacement of bread or simply as a dessert. Sweet potatoes are excellent roasted with olive oil or steamed, but my latest life-changing discovery, the microwave, makes everything easier, faster and still super tasty. 

Have them for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Sweet potatoes are also a perfect and fulfilling snack for one of those starving afternoons.

Microwave a sweet potato and cut it in half. Now use your imagination to create delicious “toasts” and have fun combining sweet, savory and salty flavors all together.

One of my favorite combos is sweet potatoes and avocado, a classic. 

Did you know that the association of healthy fats with sweet potatoes helps increase the intake of vitamins?

Try the combination of yogurt and dates for extra energy. Or add some veggies and nuts. For hard-studying people with no time for creativity, simply sprinkle some cinnamon on top.  

Asia Rosso

Baked, smashed, steamed or microwaved, sweet potatoes are an excellent food. Easy to make, extraordinarily cheap and a perfect snack on the go. You can think of them as a loaf of bread. And now, come up with the most original recipes to fuel your brain and your body. Welcome to the fam!