Boston Market is a chain restaurant that focuses on providing the best food at the best prices at over 450 locations across the country. From rotisserie chicken to meatloaf to pot pies, they make family meals for when you don't have time to cook. Along with entrees, they serve 15 unique sides. Whether you are craving a casserole, fresh vegetables, or a piece of their toasty, golden cornbread, you can't go wrong. 

Much of my childhood was spent eating to-go dinners from Boston Market. A typical Wednesday night was filled with loads of mashed potatoes and chicken bathed in gravy. However, my mom's health kick started, and days of ordering-in had stopped. Not wanting us to eat rich, buttery foods, she refrained from picking up a meal here ever again. However, unbeknownst to her, many of the Boston Market sides contain healthy servings of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates.

With any restaurant, you always have to be mindful of the nutrition of the foods you're eating. Calorie counts on menus serve as a great reference to know what you're putting in your body. Unless you're counting macros, having a general knowledge of your daily calorie consumption is a great way to track what you are eating.

Listed in order of calories, below are the current 15 Boston Market sides.

#SpoonTip: Boston Market has a fully interactive nutrition guide to help you choose the best option for your dietary needs.

15. Sweet Potato Casserole

Sweet Potato Casserole is one of Boston Market's must-tries. However, standing with nearly double the calories and carbs of all of the other options, you might want to skip out on this item. The sugary marshmallows and crumble on top add unnecessary sweetness to this good-for-you vegetable.

Calories: 450 Total Fat: 12g Carbohydrates: 85g Protein: 3g

14. Macaroni and Cheese

While mac and cheese is always a fan favorite, it's no surprise it's one of the least healthy sides. With rotini pasta swirls coated in rich cheddar cheese, this dish is nearly perfect. The only thing that would make it better would be if it were low-cal. 

Calories: 270 Total Fat: 9g Carbohydrates: 36g Protein: 12g

13. Southwest Rice

Make Mexican red rice

paperfacets on Flickr

Boston Market's signature rice consists of flavorful yellow rice, beans, and corn. Don't let the vegetables in the dish fool you— there's a hefty amount of calories in this dish. While beans are known for their protein, you'll find only two grams in this side.

Calories: 260 Total Fat: 9g Carbohydrates: 39g Protein: 2g

12. Bacon Brussels Sprouts

A new addition to the menu, the bacon Brussels sprouts are impeccably roasted. However, the bacon and extra oil results in an excess of unnecessary fats. Therefore, this side dish has the highest fat content. 

Calories: 240 Total Fat: 31g Carbohydrates: 20g Protein: 7g

11. Mashed Potatoes

Boston Market does their mashed potatoes well. And by well, I mean full of butter, cream, and freshly cracked black pepper. Surprisingly, it's a better option than the rice, with fewer calories and carbs. 

Calories: 240 Total Fat: 10g Carbohydrates: 32g Protein: 5g

10. Squash Casserole

Despite having the same calorie count as the mashed potatoes, the squash casserole will provide you with a more satisfying, protein-rich side. However, this vegetarian favorite is only available at certain locations. If you're lucky enough to try this cornbread and cheese-topped side at your local Boston Market, you can choose to splurge a bit for the novelty.

Calories: 240 Total Fat: 15g Carbohydrates: 18g Protein: 9g

9. Fresh Vegetable Stuffing

Just because it contains the word "vegetable" doesn't mean it's necessarily healthy. While not the worst offering, you're better off ordering fresh vegetables sans the cornbread stuffing. If the cornbread is what you want, order a piece of cornbread and steamed vegetables for a much more filling option.

Calories: 220 Total Fat: 10g Carbohydrates: 28g Protein: 4g

8. Caesar Salad

Caesar salads are notoriously high in fat. With nearly half of your daily recommended fat, this "healthy" salad might not be the best option. Unfortunately, the other salad dressing options, including ranch, honey mustard, and chipotle, are just as bad. If you want to make a salad a meal, you can top it with a piece of oven crisp chicken as pictured above or white meat rotisserie chicken. 

Calories: 210 Total Fat: 18g Carbohydrates: 8g Protein: 4g

7. Creamed Spinach

While we would love to think all spinach is healthy, eating it drenched in cream cheese, butter, and Parmesan slightly defeats the point of eating spinach in the first place. However, the dish has a surprising 9 grams of protein. 

Calories: 210 Total Fat: 15g Carbohydrates: 10g Protein: 9g

6. Honey Chipotle Glazed Carrots

The second side of Boston Market's latest launch is a simple side of glazed and roasted carrots. While they may not have ample protein, they're not high in fat or carbohydrates. The sweetness of the honey and spice of chipotle pair to make a balanced seasoning.

Calories: 170 Total Fat: 12g Carbohydrates: 16g Protein: <1g

5. Cornbread

Cornbread loafs are the perfect accompaniment to a plate of turkey or chicken. Although high in carbs, you can't expect much more from a well sized piece of bread. Made daily, the cornbread will always be served fresh to you. 

Calories: 160 Total Fat: 3g Carbohydrates: 31g Protein: 2g

4. Sweet Corn

Next up in the corn category, Boston Market's sweet corn is perfectly seasoned and dressed in a light butter garlic sauce. This slight addition adds tons of flavor, but not tons of calories. The corn is produced especially for Boston Market, and will always be sweet whether it's corn season or not.

Calories: 130 Total Fat: 4g Carbohydrates: 21g Protein: 3g

3. Rotisserie Potatoes

Potatoes to be roasted in oven

vauvau on Flickr

A healthier take on French fries, rotisserie potatoes are a classic side dish. Their simple salt and pepper seasoning gets boosted up with chicken juices. These juices are not to be confused with chicken drippings; basting the potatoes does not add any extra grease, only delicious flavor.

Calories: 120 Total Fat: 2.5g Carbohydrates: 22g Protein: 4g

2. Green Beans

Coming at at number two on this list is a classic green vegetable. The green beans are steamed, which keeps in their nutrients and crisp texture. A light garlic oil adds a subtle flavor.

Calories: 90 Total Fat: 5g Carbohydrates: 7g Protein: 1g

1. Fresh Steamed Vegetables

And finally, the healthiest side from Boston Market is steamed vegetables. It shouldn't be a shock that the simplest, freshest, most nutrient-dense dish comes from farm grown vegetables.

Calories: 60 Total Fat: 3.5g Carbohydrates: 7g Protein: 2g

Eating a singular side dish is not going to ruin your diet. Remember that when eating out moderation is key. Ordering the creamy rotini mac and cheese every so often is totally fine. Simply informing yourself about the nutrition info of the foods you eat on a regular basis gets you one step closer to making better choices when eating out.