On its own, oatmeal can be a boring and tasteless breakfast, but with the right toppings you can change that. Restaurants like OatMeals in NYC have discovered how to create delicious oatmeal creations, and now you can too. Here are 6 oatmeal toppings that you need to know about.

1. Spiced apples

oatmeal

Photo by Lauren Eiden

Tired of the usual fresh fruit? Mix chopped apples with cinnamon and nutmeg and throw them in the microwave. Your oatmeal will taste like an apple pie (but way healthier).

2. Cacao nibs

oatmeal

Photo by Sarah Joh

Chocolate with breakfast? Yes, please. Cacao nibs are basically nature’s chocolate chips. They’re way less processed than the chocolate you typically see at the store, but still have that chocolatey taste.

3. Cocoa-dusted almonds

oatmeal

Photo courtesy of tierrafarm.com

Still want more chocolate? Give both your almonds and oatmeal an upgrade with cocoa dusted almonds. Protein from the almonds + antioxidants from the cocoa powder mean you’re pretty much a health guru.

4. Pumpkin purée

oatmeal

Photo by Sarah Joh

Combine a spoonful or two of pumpkin puree with a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix into your oatmeal. Instant pumpkin pie.

5. Dates

oatmeal

Photo courtesy of @owaief89 on flickr.com

Instead of reaching for the raisins, grab some dates. Top your oatmeal with chopped dates to add a caramel-like flavor, not to mention added fiber and antioxidants.

6. Coconut

oatmeal

Photo courtesy of Kennard P

If you’re a fan of coconut, toss some on your oatmeal. Coconut flakes can add a needed crunch, or shredded and sweetened coconut can add some sweetness to that bland bowl of oats.

Not satisfied with these toppings? Experiment with your own ideas — caramel, marshmallows, chia seeds, or flavored greek yogurt. Say goodbye to that bland bowl of oatmeal.