A well-crafted pun is a true masterpiece, but for art to be great, it must also be original. Some puns, especially of the food variety, are way overused. 

Just like an overplayed song, an overused pun loses its novelty. If you want to be a true pun master, you’ll avoid these commonplace food puns and come up with some more creative ones on your own (or at least find some better ones).

On donuts

food puns

Photo by Phoebe Melnick

If people out there can make donuts that look this amazing, then surely we can make better puns. Icing with joy when I hear more creative world play.

On Condiments

food puns

Photo courtesy of colorxswirl.deviantart.com

Ketchup makes a great bloody mary but an awful pun. If you want clever condiment wordplay, you have got to mustard up the creativity to come up with something better. 

On Eggs

food puns

Photo by Spoon at Michigan State University

We’re tired of eating eggs for breakfast, and we’re tired of using it in these puns. It’s absolutely egg-regious how often people say these. 

On Salad Greens

food puns

Photo by Hannah Fullmer

If you can take lettuce out of salad, then you can take it out of this pun. Kale me crazy for thinking wordplay should be wittier.

On Tomatoes

food puns

Photo courtesy of etsy.com

Tomatoes and olives work together to make the perfect pasta sauce, but they don’t work well together in this pun. For gods sake, peas make a pun about a different vegetable.

On Pizza

food puns

Photo by Christine Chang

If we are inventive enough to turn pizza in to a dip then surely we can come up with some better quips. I got my pie set on a better pun, and so should you.

On Nuts

food puns

Photo by Torey Walsh

Nuts belong in banana chocolate chip cookies, not in puns. I would give up an almond a leg to find a more original play on words.

On Sauce

food puns

Photo by Alia Wilhelm

You will roux the day that you use this pun in my presence. But you won’t regret learning what a roux is (and how to make it).

On Nachos

food puns

Photo by Katherine Richter

You think this pun is original? You have got to brie kidding me. What’s original is this recipe for healthy zucchini nachos.

On Bacon

food puns

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu

I honestly don’t give a ham if you use this pun, but just know, it will make you sound like a child. Plus, bacon is overrated anyway

On grapes

food puns

Photo by Kate Zizmor

You don’t have to settle for plain grapes when you could make wine-infused frozen grapes, so why settle for mediocre puns? We have got to be raisin the quality of our wordplay.

On Herbs

food puns

Photo courtesy of quickmeme.com

If you want to seem cultured, visit a spice store and avoid this pun at all costs. I just cannot curry on a conversation with anyone who says it. 

On Peels

food puns

Photo by Jenny Georgieva

Well, I do find these banana snickerdoodles quite appealing, but quite frankly, this pun revolts me. People may use it all the time, but that doesn’t mean you have to. Don’t give in to the pear pressure.

On More Fruit

food puns

Photo by Jenny Georgieva

Just hearing this pun makes me feel a little melon-choloy. Thank god I have this blood orange punch to pick me up.

On Berries

food puns

Photo by Torey Walsh

It’s super easy to make you’re own raspberry jam, but it’s way easier to come up with a better play on words. It’s time we berry this pun far underground and never use it again.