Have you ever tried to shotgun a beer, only to have it spill all over you? Well, here’s your chance at redemption. We’re going to give you a step by step tutorial showing you how to shotgun a beer like a champion. We asked highly skilled party boys for their tips, and compiled it into a fun little lesson for you. So, fear no more, embrace your inner college student, and let loose at your next party with these helpful hints.

1. Get some beer

Gif courtesy of reactiongifs.us

Run down to your liquor store, or go to a frat party, to find some quality (read: shitty, but affordable) beer. This step is key because without beer, how can you shotgun? Check out the ranking of college beers here to figure out which one you should buy.

2. Commit

Gif courtesy of popkey.co

You have to get into the mindset that you’re going to finish the whole beer. If you start doubting yourself, you will definitely not be able to drink it all.

3. Tilt the beer

Tilt the beer horizontally so that you can poke a whole where your mouth goes. Make sure the bottom part of the can is a little higher so that there’s an air bubble. When you poke the air pocket, it prevents the beer from spraying everywhere.

4. Stab the can

You’re going to want to aim for the air bubble, and you have to put some force into it. Don’t stab at it so hard that the can breaks and beer sprays everywhere, but let the can know who’s in charge.

5. Understand what you’re about to do

Gif courtesy of salutations.com

It’s going to happen fast, so mentally prepare yourself in the last few seconds before you try to drink a whole beer in ten seconds. To get you in the mindset, figure out what beer you are, first.

6. Get into position

Gif courtesy of cutecatgifs.com

You’re going to want to get into a good stance: legs apart, head back, get a lean going. Leaning and tilting your head back is super key; it helps the beer go down your throat smoothly

7. Go for it

Gif courtesy of funnyordie.com

Put your mouth to the can, crack the tab, and let it flow. You got this; it’s so much easier than people think it is, you just have to relax. This is going to go fast, and if that isn’t your style, learn how to taste beer like a pro.

8. Burp it out

Gif courtesy of gifsec.com

You did it! Now, you probably fee like you might throw up, but don’t be afraid to let out a big ol’ burp. It’s a super common reaction, so let it go. Everyone’s too impressed with your flawless shotgun to care.

9. Reflect

Gif courtesy of snoggingonsunday.blogspot.com

Now that that’s over, take a breather. Everyone’s dazzled by your skills, so be happy that you don’t have to do that for a while, or go in for more. You’re the only one who knows your limit, so don’t let anyone else affect your judgement.

Now that you’re a party pro, go show off some skills at your next soiree. Your friends will be really impressed, and will probably ask you, the shotgun guru, for some tips. Definitely remember to always be careful when you’re drinking, though, and always look out for your buddies. Safe partying, friends.