Summertime means endless hours to finally get in shape (or stay in shape). There are no classes or schoolwork to stand in the way of a summer workout. The only thing that you need to be careful about is the temperature. Hot weather is a blessing if you’re sitting on the beach, but its a curse if you’re trying to exercise outside. 

Instead of letting the summer heat scare ruin your workout, why not change your routine a little to work with the heat? There are so many things that you could do to make the heat the least of your worries when you’re trying to stay in shape. Here are a few tips and tricks to help you conquer your workout in the summer sun.

1. Wear Light Colors

Kelsey Coughlin

Black is a go-to color when it comes to working out, but you’re gonna want to steer clear of this shade during the summer months. It’s no lie that black absorbs more heat than lighter colors, so pick an outfit that’s filled with light colors. If you’re worried about sweat stains, just stick with white and you’ll never have to worry.

2. Make Workouts Shorter and More Than Once a Day

beer, grass
Wendy Sun

Instead of planning just one long workout during the day, try to split it up in two or three shorter workouts. The intensity of your workout doesn’t have to change, you just won't be exhausting yourself all at once. Spreading out your summer workout gives you time to recover and refuel for the rest of the day (and workouts) ahead. Try a morning workout and an evening workout if you really want to avoid those rays. 

3. Drink Water All Day  

water, alcohol
Liz Pope

Staying hydrated is important before exercise no matter what season it is, but it becomes extremely important during the hot and humid summer months. Instead of waiting until the hour before your workout to hydrate, you should drink water all day to ensure that you’re properly hydrated. 

4. Workout Early in the Morning

coffee, tea
Nicole Laszlo

Waking up early may sound like a foreign concept to you during the summer, but it might actually benefit you. If you're craving a workout and hate the intense heat, then early mornings are perfect. Waking up early and working out helps you avoid the hottest part of the day, which is the afternoon, and gives you cooler air to enjoy. 

5. Take a Cold Shower Before a Workout 

coffee, tea, beer
Becky Hughes

This might sound a little weird because why would you ever shower before working out when you’re obviously going to shower after, but it might actually work. Taking a cold shower before an outdoor workout could keep you cool, as long as you leave your hair wet when you put it in a ponytail. If you don’t want to wash your hair, just wetting it with cold water will have the same effect. Your wet hair could help cool you down.

6. Exercise Inside 

pasta, spaghetti, macaroni, cheese
Sydney Rodriguez

No one wants to stay inside on a beautiful day, but sometimes it’s a must. Extremely hot weather can be dangerous and exercising in it isn’t a smart idea. Switch up your routine by going to a gym and taking a fitness class instead of your usual outdoor regimen. It might not be as enjoyable, but you might just find something you like (almost) as much. 

7. Skip the Tight Clothing 

cake
Katie Austin

Wearing tight clothing is also a habit of many exercisers and if you're anything like me, I’m sure that’s your go-to outfit. But tight clothing might make you even hotter than you would be by just exercising. Wearing loose-fitting clothes gives you the opportunity to get some air even though it's hot outside. You might hate the idea beforehand, but you’ll be thanking yourself when your workouts are over. 

8. Refuel with Lighter Meals and Snacks 

avocado, vegetable, bread, toast, meat
Anna Lustig

Refueling after a workout is essential to rebuilding muscle and regaining the electrolytes you lost. But instead of indulging in a large meal after your workout, try to keep it light and simple to prevent you from feeling bloated. That shouldn't stop you from choosing the good proteins and carbohydrates necessary for recovery, maybe just eat a little less than you would, say before your Saturday night pregame. 

9. Run on Shaded Trails 

grass, pasture, bird
Monica Zunick

Running can be torture in the summer heat. If your go-to route lacks trees and some areas of shade, try to find another place that offers that. Trails are the perfect spot because you’re most likely surrounded by trees that can provide some shade and make it feel cooler out than it is.

10. Exercise in the Rain

beer, tea, coffee, pizza, cake
Erin O'Neill

You might not like the idea of exercising while its raining, but it will actually help keep you cool. Whether your going for a run or doing some other type of workout, the rain will give you a break from the heat and give you a refreshing cool off from the sun. Depending on where you workout the ground could be slippery, so make sure to watch out for that. Just make sure it’s not thundering or lightning because that could be dangerous.

Don’t let the summer heat scare you away from your workout. There’s plenty of ways to stay in shape while taking into account the heat. So next time you’re about to go out, just remember these tips and tricks and you’ll be set.