We're all trying to avoid the "unhealthy" foods, but what if you heard that some of the foods you thought were bad for you, are actually healthy? Here are some foods to not be afraid of and to consider adding back to your diet.

1. White Potatoes

beef, pork, sauce, vegetable, meat
Renee Chiu

My personal favorite and often considered a carb-filled starchy vegetable. The truth is, consuming the potato with the skin on is a great source of fiber and potassium. You can also get vitamin C, manganese and vitamin B6 with consumption. Best part about white potatoes—there are so many ways to eat them: mashed, roasted, grilled, etc. All are good for your health, minus the salty fast food ones.

2. Eggs

egg yolk, chicken, egg
Kristine Mahan

Eggs are loaded with antioxidants, protein and nutrients vital to good health. Regular egg consumption helps reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer, due to their high antioxidant content. Consuming mainly egg whites is more beneficial—as its higher in protein and lower in cholesterol; try to take out the yolk when possible.

3. Dark Chocolate

milk, milk chocolate, sweet, candy, coffee, chocolate
Christin Urso

The old thinking does apply to chocolate treats with a lot of added sugar. However,  dark chocolate (look for cocoa content of at least 70 percent) is loaded with flavonoids, the same beneficial compounds found in berries, red wine and tea.

4. Cottage Cheese

bread, cheese
Molly McGeeney

Cottage cheese is an excellent source of protein with relatively few calories. It is also packed with many nutrients like B vitamins, calcium, phosphorus and selenium. You can put it on almost anything!

5. Nuts

chocolate, nut, peanut
Courtney Lailey

Conventional wisdom used to dictate that nuts are high in fat and should be avoided or eaten only in moderation. As it turns out, nuts are indeed loaded with fat, but it’s the good kind of heart-healthy fat.