With Valentine's Day just around the corner, grocery stores are already stocked and ready to go with chocolate candies, stuffed animals, and heaps of red roses as if the holiday is just days away. What's great about V-Day is that you don't have to think too long and hard about what to get your significant other, simply, because the holiday has already decided that for us.

The Traditional Go-To

A heart-shaped assorted chocolate box with a fun and flirty Valentine's Day card. And maybe for extra brownie points, throw in a stuffed teddy bear that says the words, "be mine" or "I love you this much" on it. 

But where does this chocolatey crazed tradition come from and why does it define the means of an acceptable Valentine's Day gift? Well, Richard Cadbury is the one to blame for this whole chocolatey mess, or perhaps thank.

The First Chocolate Heart

chocolate candy, milk chocolate, sweet, candy, milk, chocolate
Jared Sebby
In 1861, Richard Cadbury pushed his British chocolate company to the next level as he personally began designing heart-shaped boxes with cupids and rosebuds as a new way to deliver his chocolatey goodies. Little did he know, he would become a marketing genius and the one to link chocolate to Valentine's Day.

Soon after Cadbury's chocolate empire took off during the Valentine's season, a trend began as other chocolate industries tagged along by creating and personalizing their own treats to go along with the holiday. Now there can never be a proper Valentine's Day without chocolate, but is anyone complaining?!

The First Hershey Kiss

oyster, water, mussel, shellfish
Katie Greene

In 1907, Milton Hershey (lol even the name makes me drool) introduced the world to the Hershey Kiss. This cute and tasty treat perfectly symbolizes the meaning of love in a delicious way. For a yummy way to get rid of the extra Kisses lying around, check out this awesome recipe!

The Evolution of the Chocolate Heart   

Now what would a Valentine's Day be without some good ole Russell Stover? Similar to Cadbury's heart-shaped chocolate box, Russell Stover introduced the very successful "Secret Lace Heart" box. This isn't just an ordinary PG-13 chocolate box, it comes covered in sexy satin and black lace. This box is rated R so choose carefully before you start handing these out to just anyone.

So there you have it, folks. Thanks to men like Cadbury, Hershey, and Stover, Chocolate and Valentine's Day have been ingrained in our heads for hundreds of years. They go together like two peas in a pod, and are the go to V-Day gift. Now it's time to pick your chocolate poison and have a lovely and sweet Valentine's Day! Xoxo.