It’s summer in New York City, which means bucket lists to cross off, happy hours to hit up, long days in the park, sunshine, and sweaty time in the subways (try Citi Bike). New York has every type of food you could imagine, and almost a guaranteed chance that each unique spot will produce their own special sandwich. We challenge you to try as many sandwiches on this list as you can. Hey, the challenge could be a lot worse, right? Ready, set, go!

1. The Monster from Sarge’s Deli

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @sargesdeli on Instagram

The Monster takes spot #1 simply due to size and price. Sarge’s deli, one of the most popular Jewish delis in Manhattan, sells the largest sandwich in the city. “The Monster” is $41.95 and served on thickly sliced rye bread with corned beef, pastrami, roast beef, fresh turkey, salami, sliced tomato, lettuce, cole slaw & Russian dressing. Good luck.

#SpoonTip: Try and wash it down with some matzo ball soup.

2. The Pinocchio from Alidoro

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @willardddddd on Instagram

The Pinocchio sandwich is a NY staple, courtesy of Alidoro, a quaint Italian deli located in the South Village. The Pinocchio is layered with prosciutto, sweet peppers, arugula, mushroom paste, fennel, hot pepper, and mozzarella cheese. Commonly rated as the top sandwich spot in the city, Alidoro is as epic as it looks.

#SpoonTip: This joint is cash-only.

3. The Hot Chicken Parm from Meat Hook Sandwich Shop

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @meathooksandwich on Instagram

Meat Hook Sandwich Shop prides themselves on their great sandwiches and, of course, their beer. Head over to Brooklyn for a hot chicken Parmesan sub, and always remember to check out their daily specials.

4. The Butt from Untamed Sandwiches

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @untamedsandwiches on Instagram

It is called “The Butt” for a reason: cider-braised pork butt, broccoli rabe, pepper jelly, dijon mustard, and sharp cheddar. All of their meat is hormone-free and grass-fed, and their vegetables are locally raised.

5. The Breakfast Roll from Dimes

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @seafork on Instagram

The Breakfast Sandwich at Dimes will cure your Sunday morning hangover better than anything else you have ever tried. Buckle up for eggs, avocado, pickled jalapeño, hot sauce, and cheddar cheese. Dimes is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, so feel free to stay awhile if your food coma lingers.

6. The Uncle Jesse Bao from Bauhaus

Baohaus_baohausnyc

For those vegans out there, your efforts at eating a bomb sandwich are not futile. Try the Uncle Jesse Bao: organic tofu, seasoning salt, crushed peanuts, Taiwanese red sugar, cilantro, and Haus sauce. We didn’t forget about you.

7. The Turkey Club from J.G. Melon

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @nycfoodgals on Instagram

Turkey club sandwiches may be basic, but there’s nothing wrong with consistency. JG Melon’s is artistically decorated to transport customers back to the 1930s, with low ceilings and checkered floors surrounding the bar. The aesthetic complements the generous sandwich portions, leaving visitors feeling satisfied and ready to stay for happy hour.

8. The Tuna Melt from Sarge’s Deli

sandwiches

Sarge’s Deli, home of the Monster, offers a smaller dish for those with slightly smaller appetites (and maybe smaller wallets as well). The Tuna Melt is of course served on rye bread and melted to perfection with American cheese.

9. The Pig’s Ass Sandwich from Casellulu Cheese & Wine Cafe

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @ginaway1 on Instagram

The Pig’s Ass sandwich is more appetizing than its name. Layered with pulled pork, Shelburne cheddar, ham, pickles, and chipotle aioli, you may need to take a lap in between halves. You might as well ask about the wine pairing while you’re at it.

10. The Spicy Fried Chicken Sandwich from Fuku

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @metsforbetches on Instagram

Check out Fuku at Madison Square Garden or the East Village where they sell their bestseller, the Spicy Fried Chicken Sandwich, along with Fuku fries and Milk Bar (from the sister bakery of the Momofuku restaurants) cookies. If you’re out watching the Mets at Citi Field, you can get your spicy chicken fix as well.

11. The Whitestone from Constantine’s Deli

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @ny.foodie on Instagram

Constantine’s Deli has a sandwich that emulates a Chik-fil-A sandwich on steroids. The Whitestone has breaded chicken, fried eggplant, melted fresh mozzarella, and garlic herb mayo. Want more Chik’n? We do!

12. The Raguboy from Sauce Restaurant

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @saucerestaurant on Instagram

The wide-open sandwich with meatballs and mozzarella is a smaller portion for those not ready to take on the large-and-in-charge meatball sub.

13. The Gluten-Free Sandwich from Organique

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @feedme.glutenfree on Instagram

This could be a bit of a stretch, but shoutout to the GF people out there. The GF sandwich at Organique has apple slices, brie, and farmhouse chutney on gluten-free wheat bread.

14. The Scuttlebutt from Saltie

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @nycsandwichshop on Instagram

Saltie, a nautical-themed Brooklyn restaurant, is known for picking memorable New York sandwiches that span many decades. The Scuttlebutt is complete with hard-boiled egg, olives, feta, capers, pickles, and pimento aioli. Saltie prides themselves on their refusal to cut their sandwiches in half, so get ready to get messy.

15. The Bomb from Sal, Kris, and Charlies Deli

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @salkrisandcharlies on Instagram

At Sal, Kris, and Charlie’s Deli, the sheer size and quantity of the sandwiches overshadows all else. Their most famous sandwich, The Bomb, is a combination of all Italian sandwich ingredients into one masterpiece. The Bomb includes all American meats plus all Italian meats: ham, turkey, salami, pepperoni, mortadella, American, Swiss, Provolone, lettuce, tomato, unions, roasted peppers, dressing, mayo, and mustard. What a mouthful (pun intended).

16. The Chicken Parm from Parm

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @girlwithalist on Instagram

Going to Parm without getting the Chicken Parm Sandwich would be the equivalent of going to Philadelphia as a tourist and not getting a cheesesteak. There are some things in life we just have to do for ourselves.

17. The Coconut Tiger Shrimp Sandwich from Num Pang

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @numpangsandwiches on Instagram

Straight out of Cambodia, the Coconut Tiger Shrimp Sandwich is a street food legend. With shrimp soaked in coconut milk and then tossed with cucumber and cilantro, and then dusted with coconut flakes, this tropical sandwich will take your breath away.

#SpoonTip: Don’t forget to drizzle on some Sriracha for an extra kick.

18. The Pastrami on Rye from Katz’s Deli

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @spoon_pace on Instagram

Katz’s is a New York staple. The quintessential Jewish deli is known for its pastrami on rye, complete with mustard, of course.

19. The Mommy Dearest Sandwich from Drive In Sandwiches

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @wagtouicz on Instagram

Drive In Sandwiches in Brooklyn is a movie-themed sandwich shop with their menu items named after popular movies. This vegan sandwich has marinated cucumbers, guacamole, shredded lettuce, and tomatoes.

20. The Dr. Cubano from Boomwich

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @boomwich on Instagram

The Dr. Cubano sandwich from Boomwich is HOT. This sandwich is one-of-a-kind, with Dr. Pepper roasted pork butt (couldn’t help but laugh as I typed that), country ham, provolone, pickles, and whole grain Dijonnaise (Dijon + mayo = brilliant).

21. The Zappie from Early

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @early.bk on Instagram

The Zappie is a sandwich based off traditional Polish street-food classic, the Zapiekanka (pronounced zap-yeah-kahn-ka). The owner of Early wanted to establish a coffee and sandwich shop with Polish influence in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. The Zappie is simple, yet effective, with caramelized onions, mushroom, melted fontina, chives, and a truffle oil finish.

22. The Pallone from Hamilton Deli

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @sandwichesofcolumbia

Located right near Columbia University, Hamilton Deli is a go-to sandwich shop. Try the Pallone: turkey, ham, swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, and Russian dressing on a hero sandwich. Great study break.

23. The Salmon Sandwich from Appletree Market

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @spoon_columbia on Instagram

Get your healthy fish fix with a salmon sandwich from Appletree Market.

24. The Thai BBQ Sandwich from Cinnamon Snail

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @eatwithami on Instagram

Cinnamon Snail is one of the top food trucks in the country, with a vegan menu that has sparked quite a following. The Thai BBQ is made with tempeh, a trendy soybean product originating from Indonesia. Not exactly the “BBQ” you had in mind, right?

25. The Lox Bagel from Irving Farm Coffee

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @coconfoodie on Instagram

Irving Farm Coffee has locations scattered around the city, so no matter where you are, bagels n’ lox are never too far away. The “Lox Bagel Deluxe” has Catsmo Smokehouse lox, cream cheese, tomato, capers, and of course, onion.

#SpoonTip: While you’re there, make sure to try their coffee. It is single-origin, which is super #trendy and #local.

26. The Beet, Quinoa, and Barley Sandwich from Park Luncheonette

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @nycsandwichguide

Sandwiches have a bad rep sometimes when it comes to calorie counting, but this sandwich is healthier than your average salad. The Beet, Quinoa, and Barley sandwich is all clean as it gets, with beets, a citrus dill feta spread, shaved radish, and arugula accompanied by a sesame bun.

27. The Spicy Chicken Sandwich from Emmy Squared Pizza

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @nycsandwichguide on Instagram

Although the name “Emmy Squared Pizza” can be deceiving, they have great sandwiches as well as pizza. Nestled in between the two halves of a pretzel bun, the Spicy Chicken Sandwich is layered with pico de gallo, cornichon, radish, greens, and ranch.

28. The Lobster Scramble from Little Neck Outpost

sandwiches

Offering a unique take on a lobster roll, Little Neck Outpost is a great spot for brunch (and dinner too, but it’s on the pricier side). While you’re there, order the lobster roll with eggs on top. Watch out because these babies are addicting and LNO is now offering delivery!

29. The Italian Press Grilled Cheese from Redemption NYC

sandwiches

Redemption Bar and Grille is the spot for brunch, lunch, and booze. Try the Italian Press Grilled Cheese with fresh mozzarella, vine ripe tomatoes, and pesto. Talk about drunk eats.

30. The Vegetarian Sandwich from Lenwich

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @lenwich on Instagram

Vegetarians can eat this as long as they can fit all of it in their mouth. The Vegetarian sandwich from Lenwich is delicately layered with lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, radish, avocado, and tomato. You will definitely have some leftovers.

31. The Lobster Mac N’ Cheese Sandwich from Urban Lobster Shack

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @nycdining on Instagram

Urban Lobster Shack, a 12-year-old food truck, combines two things we love in one decadent masterpiece: lobster roll and mac n’ cheese.

32. The Croque ‘Maman’ from Maman Tribeca

sandwiches

You can find your morning breakfast sandwich fix nestled in TriBeca at Maman.

33. The Roadhouse from Bec

sandwiches

The Roadhouse at Bec is quite the order: two eggs, sweet Italian sausage, NY state sharp cheddar, avocado, slaw, BBQ sauce all packed on a ciabatta roll. Now you can see why BEC stands for bacon, egg, and cheese.

34. The Sloppy Joe Grilled Cheese from Cheese Grille

sandwiches

Out of the 10 different options, The Sloppy Joe is grilled cheese, but multiplied and improved. The Sloppy Joe has ground beef, mascarPone, and pickled jalapeños on Levain Pullman bread.

35. The Wisco from Melt Shop

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @meltshop on Instagram

The “Wisco” got its name because of the copious amounts of cheese in the grilled cheese, courtesy of Melt Shop, a popular New York go-to. Between two slices of crisp bread lies the motherland of all cheesy dreams: a flowing river of sharp cheddar, accompanied by bacon and sliced tomato.

36. The 15 from Tramezzini NYC

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @tramezzininyc on Instagram

These Venetian sandwiches will transport you on an Italian getaway. Check them out at Smorgasburrg on the weekends in Brooklyn this summer. The #15 has roasted pork, herbs, sautéed peppers, asiago, caramelized onions, and grana padano cheese.

37. The Famous Reuben from Eisenberg’s Sandwich Shop

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of newyork.seriouseats.com

Eisenberg’s Famous Reuben is stacked high with pastrami, corned beef or turkey, swiss cheese, sauerkraut, Russian dressing (on the side if you’re a regular), and is then grilled on rye bread. The sandwich press used to grill those babies is probably older than you’d like to think.

38. The Award Winning Pan Roasted Chicken Thigh Sandwich from Delicatessen

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @thisgirlcaneat on Instagram

Whether or not this self-proclaimed award-winning sandwich is as highly regarded as many believe, this beauty is truly a masterpiece. With olive pesto, sweet pepper aioli, and burrata complementing the pan roasted chicken, you have to try it for yourself to see if it deserves the awards.

39. The La Del Gato from Caracas Arepa Bar

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @caracasarepabar on Instagram

Caracas Arepa Bar is a Venezuelan escape in the middle of the East Village, offering sandwiches, large plates, and legendary guacamole. The chefs at Caracas use 100% corn buns, which are grilled and baked. The La Del Gato, one of the Arepa options, is Guayanes cheese (we had to look it up too. Guayanes cheese is a soft, sweet, white cow’s milk cheese from Venezuela), fried sweet plantains, and avocado slices. Vamos!

40. The Roasted Porchetta & Egg Sandwich from Upland NYC

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @garberfoods on Instagram

NY Mag just recently voted Upland as one of the hottest brunch spots in the city, and we can see why. The Roasted Porchetta & Egg sandwich is the egg sandwich you were dreaming about last night. Don’t forget the guindilla chiles and arugula nestled in between two pieces of a perfectly toasted baguette and maybe a mimosa or two.

41. The Turkey Breast Sandwich from Little Muenster

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @littlemuenster on Instagram

Little Muenster’s turkey breast sandwich will blow your mind and blow away any previous dry and uneventful experiences with turkey breast. This sandwich has house roasted turkey, dill and chive cream cheese, cucumber, sprouts, and tomato.

42. The Nacho Libre Grilled Cheese from The Randolph NYC

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @therandolphnyc on Instagram

House-made tortilla chips, ranchero sauce, sharp cheddar & jack, and country white cheese. Tell Jack Black, this one is on him.

43. The Crispy Flounder Sandwich from The Smith

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @thesmithnyc on Instagram

Fish are friends AND food! The crispy flounder sandwich at the Smith is five stars, with kale and apple slaw and tartar on a brioche bun. Cue the Little Mermaid.

44. The Grilled Cheese from Cookshop

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @sa.eats on Instagram

Which grilled cheese is not like the rest? Bookshop’s take on the classic grilled cheese definitely shakes it up, with fontina and Monterey jack cheese, roasted broccoli rabe, black olives, and pickled chili.

#SpoonTip: They have a bunch of menus, but go for lunch if you definitely want the grilled cheese.

45. The BQE from Brooklyn Standard

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @coupleeatsny on Instagram

Another vegetarian sandwich made the list. Now featuring the BQE: hummus, tomato, cucumbers, pickled red cabbage, romaine, avocado, and chili drizzle on focaccia.

46. The Portobello Sandwich from Coco & Cru

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @cocolovescru on Instagram

Coco & Cru is one of the handful (handful, get it? Like Two Hands Cafe) of Australian cafes popping up around the city. Their Portobello mushroom smoked mozzarella and rocket kale pesto sandwich will blow your mind and make you want to book a flight to Sydney.

47. The Chicken Biscuit from Cheeky Sandwiches

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @onehungryjew

With two biscuits as halves of the sandwich, the fried chicken peacefully rests in the middle, covered in gravy and cole slaw. This will go right to your cheeks for sure (whichever you prefer, everyone’s body works in different ways).

48. The Egg Salad Sandwich from Sparks Deli

sandwiches

Sparks Deli serves up the best egg salad you’ll ever have (probably, I mean don’t quote me on it). It’s a little off the beaten track, but worth the visit if you’re in Brooklyn.

49. The B.L.A.T. from Friedman’s

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @friedmansnyc on Instagram

Bacon, lettuce, tomato, avocado, tofu, herbed aioli, on toasted sourdough. Nom.

50. The Steak Sandwich from Coco & Cru 

sandwiches

Photo courtesy of @onehungryjew on Instagram

I’m ending this list with a mouthwatering steak sandwich (plus arugula, romesco, and roasted scallions!) from Coco & Cru.

You now have 50 sandwiches to try, so you better start soon!