While in Florence, Italy, I did a guided walking tour, and during our hour-long lunch break, I spotted an all-pink restaurant and, well thought, how can I not go there?

Upon arrival, the waiter asked if the group I was with was there for lunch or drinks, and this was something that always took me aback because I wasn’t used to practically every restaurant also being open if someone wanted drinks only. So, if you ever go to Europe, expect restaurants to allow you to sit at a table for hours on end, even if you only order one drink.

We opted for the lunch menu, and one other thing to note is that many dishes list “Rocket Salad” as what’s included in the dish. This was something that everyone I studied abroad with was always confused about until I ordered a dish that included it. Note to self: it’s just arugula.

This pink-themed restaurant, Rivoire, recommended what wine should go with what entree. I decided on the Risotto al Parmigiano and the suggested wine was the Limited Edition, Alta Langa 2018 Pinot Nero, Chardonnay. I ended up ordering the Chardonnay, and it was the best Chardonnay I’ve had. It was crisp and delivered on every note with a very slight sweetness, although it was still on the dryer side.

Amanda Clark

The Risotto al Parmigiano is also the best I’ve ever had. Priced at € 20, it included rocket salad and a balsamic reduction. The balsamic side of the risotto added a bitter-sweet taste that only made the dish stand out from the rest. It’s a dish that made me regret being unable to move and live within walking distance from Rivoire.

Amanda Clark

For dinner after the tour, I had to find a restaurant that served Bistecca Alla Fiorentina (Florentine Steak) because it’s a cut of steak that isn’t found in the U.S. because of the type of meat originating from Tuscany.

Cantina de Pucci was the chosen restaurant, and to everyone’s surprise, everything came out perfect.

Amanda Clark

To drink, I ordered a € 7 red wine: Calice Rosso Toscana Barbanera. I’m not the biggest fan of red wine as it’s on the bitter side, but how could I not order red wine when having steak? This was the best I've had as it still had a sweeter side, and I didn’t pucker from any of the bitterness. If I lived in the country, I would have bought a bottle to take home. This wine truly did not make me think of red wine with how much sweetness came to shine through.

A nice surprise after ordering the drinks was the waitress bringing everyone a complimentary glass of prosecco and a small amount of mozzarella and basil on top of a tomato salsa mix. I used the bread that came to the table to dip in the sauce to make this a delicious appetizer.

Amanda Clark

For a pre-steak meal, I ordered deep-fried vegetables at € 7. They came out as a grilled version but were delicious nonetheless as it tasted like balsamic vinaigrette was drizzled on each vegetable while getting grilled.

Amanda Clark

Since the steak doesn’t come in a size for just one person as the smallest size you can order is 800 grams at € 6.50 per 100 grams, my group split the entire steak. I regret not ordering my own because of how incredible it was. And it's such a special steak that the chief came out with it still raw to ask for our approval of the cut. We ordered the cut to be cooked to a medium rare temperature as this kind of steak is supposed to be on the rarer side. The flavor stood on its own, with each piece melting in my mouth from the crisper edge pieces to the softer middle pieces.

Amanda Clark

When in Florence, make sure to order this steak and try some dishes that are make with rocket salad, as it'll be one of the best decisions of your life.