Napoleon Dynamite may have made them famous, but these tots are serving a tot-ally new purpose… in a dope breakfast bake.

Tots, cheese, bacon, sausage, onion, more cheese and chives? Prepare to have a lot of people want to be your friend for the entire 10 minutes of this breakfast’s existence until it’s devoured.

Tater Tot Breakfast Bake

• Prep Time:15 minutes
  • Cook Time:45 minutes
  • Total Time:60 minutes
  • Servings:5-6

• 4 slices of bacon
  • 1 white onion
  • 1 lb ground sausage
  • 2 cup cheese
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 cup milk
  • 2 lbs tater tots
  • Chives
Photo by Maddie Cole
Photo by Maddie Cole

Step 1

Preheat oven to 350ºF.

Step 2

Place bacon in the skillet and turn to low heat, cook both sides until it reaches your preferred crispiness.

GIF by Maddie Cole
GIF by Maddie Cole

Step 3

In the same skillet with bacon fat, turn skillet to medium heat and cook chopped onions and ground sausage.

GIF by Maddie Cole
GIF by Maddie Cole

Step 4

Drain and place onions and sausage in the bottom of a 9×13 pan, followed by 1 ½ cups of cheese. 

GIF by Maddie Cole
GIF by Maddie Cole

Step 5

In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Then pour the mixture over the cheese so that it is evenly distributed.

GIF by Maddie Cole
GIF by Maddie Cole

Step 6

Layer the top with tater tots and place the pan on the lower middle rack in the oven. Bake for 35 minutes.

GIF by Maddie Cole
GIF by Maddie Cole

Step 7

Take out breakfast bake and sprinkle additional ½ cup of cheese on top. Then place the tray back in the oven for 5-10 minutes until the tots are golden brown and the sides are bubbling.

Step 8

Add bacon bits and chives to garnish.

GIF by Maddie Cole
GIF by Maddie Cole