This revamped recipe shows you how to make Mrs Beeton's almond fritters from her Every Day Cookery book. More akin to the modern pancake, these moreish treats combine sweetness and nuttiness with a fluffy texture. The age-old recipe is easily adjustable to suit a range of tastes and occasions. Thankfully, all ingredients are still widely accessible in most supermarkets (and cheap). Try experimenting with different extracts for added flavour or amp up the decadence with sultanas or chocolate chips. These fritters are great for sharing with friends or indulging in as a weekend breakfast (or any other time, for that matter). Here's how to make them.

Mrs Beeton's Almond Fritters

• 2 ounces ground almonds
  • 1/2 ounce cornflour
  • 2 eggs separated
  • 1 ounce caster sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon any extract.
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter.
  • 1 handful optional extras such as raisins or chocolate chips
Rebecca Salter

Combine egg yolks with sugar in a large bowl. Stir together until creamy.

Rebecca Salter

Stiffly whisk egg whites and add to the mixture, along with ground almonds, extract of your choice, and cornflour. This is also the time to add any extras such as raisins or chocolate chips.

Rebecca Salter

In a frying pan, heat enough unsalted butter to coat the base. This should be no more than one tablespoon.

Rebecca Salter

Working in teaspoonfuls, drop the mixture into the pan and fry on both sides until pale brown/golden.

Rebecca Salter

Repeat process until whole mixture is used, adding butter to the pan or removing it from the heat if necessary. Drain fritters on a paper towel and serve as hot as possible. Add a sprinkling of icing sugar or cinnamon for a more festive presentation. Enjoy!

Rebecca Salter