I'm not kidding when I say I am a Nutella addict in need of a vegan Nutella option. Any of my former roommates can attest to finding me in the living room during finals week eating straight out of Nutella jar with a spoon. 

Nutella is literally my go-to. I will eat Nutella straight out of the jar or make a sandwich or make elaborate desserts out of it constantly. Resulting in not that good of a diet, acne, and the general sugar rush. 

It wasn't until I went home for the summer that my Argentinian mother surprisingly wanted me to go vegan. Now, the fact that my meat-lover of a mother wants to go vegan is a different story, but it was in that moment I knew I had to find a way to satisfy my hazelnut craving.

After multiple attempts at recreating the classic hazelnut spread, I found this vegan Nutella recipe on Minimalist Baker. I tweaked her recipe a bit to make it absolutely perfect, and you'll love the end result. 

Vegan Nutella

• 3 cups raw hazelnuts
  • 2/3 cup dairy-free chocolate
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon Agave Maple Syrup or Honey if not vegan
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil
chocolate, sweet, cake, bread, cream, jam, pastry, coffee
Delfina Barbiero

First, preheat the oven to 350ºF. Pour 3 cups of raw hazelnuts on a pan covered with tin foil or parchment paper. Make sure the hazelnuts are evenly spread out. Bake for 10 minutes.

chocolate, nut, sweet, hazelnut, candy, macadamia nut
    Delfina Barbiero

Once the hazelnuts are out of the oven and had a chance to cool down, put them on one-half of a clean kitchen towel. Then wrap the second half over the hazelnuts and rub off the skin by rubbing together the two halves of the towel.

#SpoonTip: You can also pick some of the skin off. It doesn't have to be perfect, but make sure to have most of the hazelnuts somewhat cleaned.

vegetable, nut
    Delfina Barbiero

Take your hazelnuts and pour them into a food processor. Blend until its mostly fine grain. With your chocolate, take the spoonful of coconut oil and mix it thoroughly before putting it in the microwave to melt. After it is melted, pour the chocolate into the hazelnuts and blend until the spread is smooth. Add more if needed.

beer, rum, cocktail, alcohol, liquor
    Delfina Barbiero

To add taste, sprinkle in your salt and add the vanilla extract. Agave, maple syrup, and honey (if not vegan) can be added to the spread, but know that it can make the spread thicker.

chocolate, coffee, cream, milk, sweet, pudding
    Delfina Barbiero

If you're vegan, vegetarian, or simply looking to eat healthier, I hope this recipe points you in the right direction!

This recipe was inspired by a recipe on Minimalist Baker.