The following excerpt and recipe for Crispy Gochujang-Glazed Sweet Potato Tacos is from Palak Patel's new cookbook "The Chutney Life: 100 Easy-To-Make Indian-Inspired Recipes," available now on Amazon.

When I need to get something satisfying and delicious on the table fast, these tacos deliver! Peeling and chopping sweet potatoes requires some elbow grease and takes a bit of time, so I prefer to buy pre-cut cubed sweet potatoes for this recipe. Gochujang is a Korean chili paste that brings the heat and is a handy condiment to keep in the fridge, so order some from Amazon or grab it at your local grocery store or Asian grocery store.

Crispy Gochujang-Glazed Sweet Potato Tacos

• 2 tbsp gochujang
  • 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
  • 2 tbsp prepared sweet Thai chile sauce plus ¼ cup for topping
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 3 cloves grated garlic
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp salt plus more as needed
  • 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro plus 3 tbsp for toppings
  • 1 tbsp plus ¼ cup canola or vegetable oil
  • 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and cut into cubes
  • 1 cup kimchi drained and chopped small
  • 1 bunch thinly sliced green onions
  • 12 6-inch corn tortillas
  • 1 pound grated Monterey Jack cheese
  • Flaky sea salt for the taco shells
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 2 finely sliced serrano or jalapeño chiles
  • 2 quartered limes
Photo by Emily Dorio

Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, add the gochujang, hoisin sauce, Thai chile sauce, soy sauce, garlic, cumin, salt, rice wine vinegar, cilantro, and 1 tablespoon of the oil and stir until well combined. Add the sweet potatoes and mix gently until combined.

Spread out the sweet potato mixture on the prepared baking sheet, place on the middle rack of the oven, and roast for 30 to 35 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are fork-tender and the bottoms are golden brown. Midway through roasting, carefully flip the potatoes for even cooking. Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven, add the kimchi and green onions, and gently toss to combine.

Pour the remaining ¼ cup (60 ml) oil in a small dish and lightly brush the bottoms of the tortillas with the oil. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and add 2 tortillas, oiled sides down. Spread a handful of cheese on one-half of each of the tortillas and top with 2 spoonfuls of the sweet potato mixture, using a fork to slightly press them down and being careful not to overstuff them. Top with more cheese and fold the tacos in half to create quesadillas. Cook until golden and crisp, flipping once, for about 2 minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and fillings.

Transfer to a wire cooling rack as the the quesadillas are done and immediately sprinkle the taco shells with a pinch of flaky sea salt while they are still hot. Combine the sour cream and chili sauce and serve as a dipping sauce or place a dollop on each taco, and then top the tacos with cilantro, sliced serranos, and a squeeze of lime.