I love fall! The leaves start to change, everyone snuggles up in a warm sweater, and it's just a beautiful time to be out-and-about. If you're a student, you might be worried about balancing your new academics and making meals. But lucky for you, soups are an awesome way to eat healthy & stay cozy!  This recipe for my mushroom & wild rice soup was adapted from a few online versions. I've made it with scallions, spinach, and squash, but this is the simplest variation I could muster. It keeps well in the fridge for days & is super filling. I chose to make this recipe because I had a pack of baby-bella mushrooms that were close to their expiration (we're a no-waste kitchen, after all), but you can use shiitake or white mushrooms too! 

Autumn Mushroom & Rice Soup

• Cook Time:1 hr
  • Total Time:1 hr 10 mins

• 8L water
  • 2 tbsp Bullion powder or 2 cubes
  • 8oz sliced mushrooms
  • 3 carrots peeled and chopped
  • 1 yellow onion chopped
  • 2 stalks celery chopped
  • 2 tsp thyme
  • 2 tsp cracked rosemary
  • 1/2 cup brown rice uncooked
  • 1 tsp olive oil or avocado oil for sautéing
  • 3 cloves garlic chopped
mushroom, vegetable

First, add the garlic, onion, carrots, and celery to a large pot with the avocado oil. Cook on medium heat until the onions begin to soften and become fragrant. 

Next, pour in the water and bullion to the pot. I use Better Than Bullion base, but you can also substitute the water/bullion with your favorite veggie stock. Add mushrooms, spices, and uncooked rice to the pot. 

Allow the soup to simmer on medium-low heat for around one hour. Taste and add salt/pepper or spice as you see fit.