An omakase, a translation of the Japanese phrase "I'll leave it up to you," is a sushi menu that is carefully selected by the chef. Often considered the pinnacle of sushi-eating, this way of dining is the Japanese equivalent to a Western tasting menu. While I'm perfectly content chowing down on a maki roll or two, there's no denying that omakase is a necessary experience if you're a fan of sushi.

There is a catch, though. An omakase course in the States can regularly be upwards of $100 and sometimes they still aren't good! I blame this on the lack of authenticity and the amount of time it takes to get the fish from Japan to America. This is exactly why you should try the omakase in Bangkok. Besides having multiple options for omakase, Thailand also happens to be WAY closer to Japan than America is—it takes about half the travel time, actually—guaranteeing higher-quality for lower prices. So if you happen to be visiting Thailand (or live here full-time) you should definitely check out these omakase restaurants if you have a hankering for good sushi.

Tsukiji Aozora Sandaime

Tessa Domzalski
Tessa Domzalski

Where to find it: Compass Skyview Hotel, 12 Sukhumvit Soi 24

Closest public transportation: BTS Phrom Phong 

You know this place is legit considering their original location is inside of Japan's iconic Tsukiji Fish Market, one of the best places in the world to get fresh fish. Their lunch omakase comes with 10 pieces of sushi for 1,800 baht, one of the more affordable omakase in Bangkok and you'll be able to try a variety of nigiri like buttery Hokkaido uni and melt-in-your-mouth otoro. If you're not in the mood for an omakase but still want to try high-quality sushi, they also have an à la carte menu. 

Ginza Sushi Ichi

Tessa Domzalski
Tessa Domzalski

Where to find it: LG/F, Erawan Bangkok, 494 Phloen Chit Rd.

Closest public transportation: BTS Chit Lom

Recently awarded a star by Michelin Guide, the Bangkok branch of this restaurant also receives its fish from Tsukiji Market (every 24 hours in fact). With close attention to detail and chefs trained at the original branch in Tokyo, you're guaranteed to have the sushi experience of a lifetime. Try their omakase at lunch for 4,000+ baht or at dinner for 7,000+ baht.

Sushi Zo

Tessa Domzalski
Tessa Domzalski

Where to find it: G/F Athenee Tower, 63 Wireless Rd.

Closest public transportation: BTS Ploen Chit

With Michelin-starred branches and month-long waiting lists in both New York and Los Angeles, Sushi Zo prides itself on high-quality ingredients and a unique LA-inspired take on sushi. One major difference between this omakase and others is the lack of soy sauce. To get the necessary flavors the chefs instead use other ingredients like salt, seaweed or the natural brininess of the seafood. Sushi Zo's 18-course omakase is 7,000+ baht and there are only two sessions daily. 

Sushi Ichizu

Tessa Domzalski
Tessa Domzalski

Where to find it: Sukhumvit Soi 39, New Petchaburi Rd.

Closest public transportation: MRT Phetchaburi

With over a decades-worth of experience under his belt, Sushi Ichizu's head chef Toda Riku has not only worked at a Michelin-starred restaurant but he's also received some of the finest training in the world under legendary sushi chef Hachiro Mizutani who was in turn trained by Jiro Ono (yes, that Jiro). One of my favorite dishes was the monkfish liver sandwich, but everything else on the menu is equally amazing. The 18-course omakase is 8,000+B and with only 20 seats available per day it's highly recommended you make a reservation in advance if you plan on eating at Sushi Ichizu. 

Fillets

Tessa Domzalski
Tessa Domzalski

Where to find it: 3/F Portico, 31 Lang Suan Rd.

Headed by chef Randy Noprapa, you'll quickly notice that this omakase is different than the others. Besides having a more laid-back atmosphere Fillets also caters more to the Thai palate by experimenting with unexpected flavors, textures and ingredients. Get their omakase for 6,000+ baht, or try their other offerings like the Wagyu tomahawk.

Mizu by Sankyodai

Tessa Domzalski
Tessa Domzalski

Where to find it: 2/F, Charn Issara Tower, 942/43 Rama 4 Rd.

Closest public transportation: BTS Sala Daeng

Specializing in Edomae-style sushi, Mizu has the largest variety when it comes to omakase options so this might be the best option for omakase in Bangkok if you're on a budget but still want an authentic experience. During the omakase course you'll be able to try flounder nigiri, gigantic oysters, beautiful chirashi  and so much more. Their most affordable omakase option is 1,700+ baht for 9 courses but you should definitely check out all of their options.