I recently went to an adorable, charming restaurant called Witches Brew in West Hempstead.  Up and running for 20 years now, the café is about a 6 minute drive from Adelphi University or, if you're up for it, a 20 minute walk. 

From the outside window, you can see pictures representing peace and several empowering quotes displayed.  

Joanna Reid

The Ambiance 

As soon as I walked in, I was surrounded by the spooky atmosphere.  The café is filled with vintage–sporting velvety seating and dim lighting.  Each table was embellished with a festive mini pumpkin in spirit of the fall season.  Despite the haunting theme, the environment of the locally-run establishment was still warm and inviting. 

The restaurant is very busy during the fall, especially throughout October, and they lived up to the hype!  I recommend making a reservation through their Yelp page before going.

Joanna Reid

If you visit at night, there are string lights that illuminate the restaurant, making the ambiance even more intimate and fitting for the fall season. 

The Menu

Along with the cozy environment, the food was delicious.  With a menu filled with salads, sandwiches, breakfast foods, and more, there are plenty of options to choose from.  The restaurant even has an array of vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free options, as well as several healthy options.

Joanna Reid

I ordered macaroni and cheese–my favorite fall comfort food, a frozen cappuccino, and a "cina-bun".  Admittedly, the food is a bit pricey for its portion sizes.  The mac & cheese I ordered was $10, but it was also homemade and incredibly flavorful.  It has breadcrumbs at the top, so when you dig into it, it has the perfect bite of creamy and cheesy noodles with a small crunch.  It was definitely the best mac & cheese I've ever had, making the slightly steep prices very worth it!  My dessert "cina-bun" had the perfect amount of crispness and sweetness and was topped with powdered sugar, which made me wish I'd ordered two.  My frozen cappuccino was light and fluffy, topped with whipped cream and cinnamon.

One of the other popular dishes here is the butternut & sage gnocchi, which consists of delectable, chewy butternut squash gnocchi and sage butter sauce, topped with shallots and golden brown pumpkin seeds.  The coconut red curry is also popular, which is rice noodles mixed with appetizing fried vegetables.

Joanna Reid

Even if you're not a coffee lover, they have an entire menu dedicated to drinks like craft soda, tea, and hot chocolate.  They have yummy desserts too, such as ice cream and sorbet. 

The presentation of the food is appealing and makes for a perfect Instagram post.

Coronavirus Precautions

In case you're worried about the coronavirus, Witches Brew provides both indoor and outdoor seating.  Additionally, all the tables are socially distant, and all workers are required to wear masks.  Furthermore, Witches Brew offers takeout to bring the experience home.  They definitely passed the precautions test.

Overall Experience

Other than the wait time being lengthy and the food being slightly pricey, my experience was amazing.  It's a great place to go with friends, family, or even a first date.  The staff is very kind as well, and the service was great.

Overall, this is a cute place to get in the mood for Halloween or if you're just looking for somewhere spooky to visit all year-round.  I would definitely return.

Additional Information

It should be known that the café only takes cash and is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays, but it's open during the rest of the week from 11 AM to 12 AM.  More information can be found on their Facebook page.

If you're interested in more fall-themed food, you may enjoy these articles:

Falling for Fall: The Best Fall Dessert

This 6 Ingredient Fall Fettuccine Is a Must Have This Season