As a child, hot pot would always be comfort food to me. In cold weather it was the perfect companion and it also brought together friends and family as we cooked our meals together. Hot pot varies across cultures, but as a basic standard, all hot pot is served with a pot of broth boiled in the middle of the table with plates of other meats, vegetables, noodles, and other food items you want to cook. It’s a fairly simple thing that you can make at home, but there’s also several hot pot restaurants that have been popping up everywhere like these ones in Riverside and Hawaii. However here in San Diego, the best one has got to be Little Sheep Mongolian Hot Pot in Kearny Mesa and this is why:

1. The Yin-yang Pot

hot pot

Photo by Vylana Trang

At Little Sheep, there are three different options for the broth: the House Original Pot, the House Spicy Pot, and best of all, the Yin-yang Pot. This is the perfect choice for when you go with people who love spicy and people who can’t handle it (wimps like me).

2. Give Me ALL the Options

hot pot

Photo courtesy of @jennymichellely on Instagram

To add to your lovely broth, there’s also several options of protein you can order like lamb shoulder, Angus beef, ribeye, chicken, pork belly, shrimp, fish balls, tofuthe list goes on. In addition you can also get different types of noodles (potato noodles, wide noodles, and glass noodles) and vegetables (bok choy, lettuce, and mushroom).

3. AYCE Crazy Tuesdays

hot pot

Photo by Vylana Trang

If you’re one of those indecisive types, they also have all-you-can-eat Tuesdays. For $20 per person, you and your table can select the broth and then choose how many rounds (orders) you want of each item on their menu. Don’t hold back because you can’t help but go crazy for hot pot.

4. The Lunch Special

hot pot

Photo by Vylana Trang

Now if you want just a tiny bit more self-control, there’s the lunch special which they have every weekday until 3pm. For only $11.95 per person, you choose the broth you want to share with your table and then individually choose your protein. They’ll then bring out these big black plates with your entire meal. Alongside your chosen protein, there will also be noodles, assorted meatballs, and vegetables. I cannot tell you how many times I have gotten their lunch special and felt like I just got the best deal in all of San Diego.