Smoothies are always a great idea, and smoothie bowls are even better. Although it's a trend that started a few years ago, it has yet to be simmering down in popularity, and is still one of the most aesthetically pleasing foods posted on Instagram. And now, my fellow smoothie-lovers, enjoying one of these bowls has become oh-so very convenient for everyone in Pleasantville and towns nearby thanks to Playa Bowls

Known as a health food restaurant, Playa Bowls was started by two surfing enthusiasts, Robert Giuliani and Abby Taylor. And now as of December 20th, access to their smoothies and açaí bowls are even easier with just a quick trip into town. You can get your piece of tropical paradise in Pleasantville just by indulging in one of their many delicious and healthy bowls, smoothies, and juices.

Jessica Henderson

Impatiently awaiting for weeks for Playa Bowls to open, I just had to go on opening day. I wasn't quite sure what to expect since it was cold out and figured not a lot of people would show. When I got there around 5 P.M., though, I was pleasantly surprised to see the place packed with a line almost going out the door. The crowd consisted mostly of Pace University students and neighboring high school students. 

Jessica Henderson

From all the hype going on, I could totally see why the place was so busy (besides the fact that it was new). The decor inside was hip, colorful, and it totally made me feel like I belonged at the beach and not shivering in my winter coat. Their menu was also colorful and filled with so many more options than expected (definitely not complaining, though). Although it took me a bit to figure out which one I wanted, I finally settled for a Lola, which is a green bowl topped with granola, strawberry, banana, shaved almonds, chia seeds and honey.  

Amelia Gilmer

While waiting for my bowl, I decided to go around asking what everyone else got. I noticed a lot of people ordered coconut bowls, especially the Nutelloco made with granola, banana, strawberry, coconut flakes, raw cacao and Nutella drizzle. A few others were enjoying the seasonal bowl options, the North Pole Bowl made with a mint infused Açaí and a crushed candy dark chocolate sea salt drizzle, and the Gingerbread Bowl, a ginger infused Açaí bowl topped with gingerbread and almond butter. 

Jessica Henderson

There was a good mixture of people that did and did not know about Playa Bowls, but regardless, everyone was very excited to have them there, including me. I could definitely see the place becoming a new hangout for the younger generations of Pleasantville, especially once the weather becomes warmer.

I, of course, won't let a bit of cold weather stop me from enjoying some fruity deliciousness. I mean, I even went back the day after I enjoyed my first green bowl, and decided to get another because it was so good. You can definitely expect me to be there on a weekly basis next semester.

So, hopefully for those of you that haven't tried them, you will do yourself a favor and try it. And those that have, treat yourself some more. It's definitely worth it. Hope to see you there.