One easy step we can all take toward living a more sustainable lifestyle is buying produce when it's in season; a practice that not only benefits you with more nutritious (and better-tasting) fruits and veggies at cheaper prices, but also helps the environment and supports local farmers. Located in a city rich with agriculture, Cal Poly and its students have access to a wide variety of fresh, locally-grown produce. However, with more and more produce grown and harvested year-round, how do you know what's really in season?

Here's your new, go-to guide for the best fall fruits and vegetables, where to get them both on and off campus and why you should.

Fruits 

Apples 

apple, juice, pasture, sweet
Jenny Georgieva

Apples are usually the first thing that comes to mind when you think about fall produce — and for good reason. They're readily accessible in most campus dining halls, and can improve brain health and lower risk of diabetes. 

Grab some apples from Campus Market and try making some Loaded Apple Slices or Microwave Apple Crumble for dorm-approved snacks that taste great and are in season.

Plums 

pasture, juice, peach, plum, sweet, apple, nectarine
Taylor Holmes

Plums are a delicious but often overlooked fall fruit that can help build up your immune system and maintain healthy skin. Although not available on campus, many local farms at the Downtown SLO Farmer's Market have a wide variety of plums and pluots (plum + apricot) that range in flavor from super sweet to the perfect amount of tart. 

If you're getting tired of the same old granola bar or cereal for breakfast, try out this recipe for plum poppyseed oatmeal! (Dorm cooking suggestion: turn into overnight oats by mixing in dry ingredients and soaking the oats in your chosen liquid overnight, then top with plums in the morning.)   

Pears 

pear, apple, pasture, sweet, juice
Meghan Buonanno

Another underrated fall fruit, pears are a great source of fiber and have detoxifying properties. They're more difficult to find on campus and at the farmer's market, but they're readily available at local grocery stores! 

For a light dessert that doesn't skimp on fall flavor, try this recipe for baked pears that you can make in the microwave! 

Vegetables 

Cucumbers

Though typically more associated with summer, cucumbers continue to thrive well into the fall! They're high in nutrients and help you stay hydrated. Find them on campus at Campus Market or at the farmer's market and local grocery stores. 

Stock up on cucumbers and incorporate another fall veggie (tomatoes) into your diet with this easy salad recipe

Bell Peppers 

pepper, vegetable, chili, cayenne, sweet pepper, red pepper
Torey Walsh

If you're looking for a slightly sweet, refreshing snack with a crunch, reach for a bell pepper! This fall vegetable (which, *eye roll* yes, is technically a fruit) provides twice as much vitamin C as most citrus fruits. They're also one of the few fresh veggies available at Campus Market, though you can also find them at local grocery stores and the farmer's market! 

Give in to the stuffed pepper trend and try out this easy recipe

Brussel Sprouts

vegetable, cabbage, brussels sprout, pasture, sprouts, salad
Constance Connolly

Like most kids growing up, I refused to go near the suspicious green orbs that would occasionally grace my dinner table. However, if you're able to muster up a little bit of courage and find the right preparation, Brussel sprouts may become one of your favorite dishes. Filled with antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids, Brussel sprouts are an excellent addition to your diet. You can sometimes find them on campus in prepared dishes at 805 Kitchen, but they're also available at the farmer's market and local grocery stores. 

If you're still hesitant, one of these brussel sprouts recipes might change your mind. 

Eat In-Season, Every Season

Buying produce in-season is a delicious and sustainable option available to Cal Poly students. If you can't find what you're looking for on-campus or at the farmer's market, California Fresh Market and Lassen's Natural Foods & Vitamins are two local grocery stores within walking distance of Cal Poly.