Marlborough Gallery

Photo by Dan Q. Dao

It’s safe to say that pizza holds a special place in all of our hearts. Whether it’s dollar pizza, Artichoke’s pizza, deep-dish or thin crust, there’s something about this iconic food that has us counting change to acquire a single, gooey slice. In dedication to this beloved staple, curator Vera Neykov curated the “PIZZA TIME!” exhibit at Marlborough Gallery’s new Broome Street space in the Lower East Side. Twenty-five tasteful creations eulogize the winning combination of dough, sauce and cheese through various artistic mediums. Pizza dog piñatas, Pizza Hut Wonder Woman, and other wacky (yet strangely brilliant) compilations took “playing with your food” to a whole new level.

Marlborough Gallery

Photo by Dan Q. Dao

When we asked what Neykov’s inspiration was in devoting an entire exhibit to pizza, she replied, “I was surprised at how much pizza art is out there, and I thought—why not?” She explained that pizza is itself an edible “canvas”, and there are so many ways to explore its artistic potential.

Pizza 3d art (1)

For Neykov, pizza functions as more than just a food—it is a symbolic manifestation of our culture. “Sharing a pizza is a metaphor for community and getting together.”

Pizza art (1)

Though the exhibit only ran from September 8th to October 6th, we captured the various works for art and pizza lovers alike.

Marlborough Gallery

Photo by Dan Q. Dao