If there's one food I'm passionate about, it's sushi. I've pretty much been a fanatic since my first bite (I was three), and if you guys are anything like me, you've probably wondered, is sushi healthy? 

The truth is, it can be. Depending on how you eat your sushi, you could be improving your health, or ultimately damaging it. To help you all out, here's a list on how to maximize the health benefits of sushi, so that you can avoid harming your body. #Let'sGo

1. Ditch the Fried Stuff

sweet
Rebecca Lucci

Ugh, don't we all love the nice "crunch" that comes with a spicy tuna roll? Or the wonderfully battered shrimp tempura? Unfortunately, fried food is going to have to be a no. It's prepared in fattening oil, and eating too much of it can lead to weight gain (among other health issues). 

2. Choose the Right Fish

sushi, salmon, seafood, fish, sashimi, rice, tuna, wasabi, shrimp, meat, goody

Tuna, trout, and salmon are three fish that should definitely be on your plate. They're overly packed with the omega-3 fatty acids your heart needs to stay in top shape. They're best for you as sashimi, (just the raw fish), so try them out that way first. 

3. Pick the Right Garnish

wasabi, vegetable, guacamole, herb, avocado, dairy product, cream
Gabby Phi

Mayo and sauces may seem like a great idea when you're hungry, but they're definitely high in calories and sodium. Instead, opt for sides like wasabi and ginger, which contain cancer-fighting perks. However,  if you absolutely need soy sauce, ask your waiter for a low sodium option. 

4. Limit Your Rice Intake

eel, crab, nori, wasabi, salmon, shrimp, avocado, tuna, fish, rice, seafood, sushi, roll, chopsticks, California roll
Caroline Ingalls

Rice rocks, but only in moderation. This may be challenging, considering most sushi rolls are abundant with the stuff, but I promise, it's possible. If sashimi isn't your thing, then try out brown rice, (it's high in fiber), or simply reduce the amount of rice your eating during a sitting, (aka ditch the side bowl).

5. Eat Everything in Moderation

sushi, platter, seafood, shrimp, tuna, rice
Megan Tang

Sushi rice is made with vinegar and sugar, leading to about 240 calories per roll. That's not terrible, but it can definitely add up if you're eating 10 rolls in a sitting. In addition, eating too much sushi during the week can lead to mercury poisoning. To get the most out of your sushi, try only having 1-2 servings per week

I think that pretty much sums up the question, "is sushi healthy?" Luckily for you, you now know how to make the answer a "yes," every time.