I am in love with hamburgers. Seriously, they’re my favourite food. So when I moved to Montreal this past September, I was on a hunt for great burgers. It was my lucky day when I happened upon a Five Guys Burger and Fries location on the (in)famous Saint Catherine’s Street. It’s easy to find, just look for the big, shiny red, Five Guys sign.

Five Guys serves diner style, fast-food hamburgers—just greasy enough, with classic, quality toppings. After ordering, you can watch your meal being made while you wait for them to call your number.

The menu is simple, which is just the way you want it when you’re looking for a no fuss, straight up burger (this isn’t the hipster hamburger joint, with tons of funky meats and toppings, FYI).

I ordered a hamburger with all of my favourite toppings (including pickles, BBQ sauce, mustard, jalapeños, and fried onions), a side of spicy cajun fries—they’re cooked in peanut oil, which is the right way to cook fries if you want them perfectly crispy on the outside, and soft and fluffy on the inside, trust me—and a Coke. Can’t get any more North American than that.

burger

Photo courtesy of Flickr

I enjoyed the classic red and white shiny, diner-style interior and I was impressed at how clean they keep the restaurant. The walls have literally countless news clippings from around the world, praising the Five Guys franchise, rightfully so. Adding to the fun vibe are great rock & roll classics playing from the speakers and ballpark-style, help yourself free peanuts.

I highly recommend Five Guys Burgers and Fries because, really, who doesn’t like a classic burger cooked just right? Hint to all of the university partiers out there: this is the PERFECT post-bar, or morning-after hangover burger joint. You can catch Five Guys on FacebookInstagram, or Twitter.

burger

Photo courtesy of Flickr

Fun facts:

#1: Daym Drops, an American foodie, loved Five Guys as well—his YouTube video went viral with over 6 million views.

#2: Five Guys is a chain that has locations across Canada, the United States, and the UKso if you enjoy it, know that you can probably find one nearby on your travels.

cheap

Address: 698 Rue Sainte-Catherine Ouest, Montréal, QC H3B 1B9
Hours: 11:00 am-11:00 pm Sunday-Wednesday; 11:00 am-4:00 am Thursday-Saturday

If you’re looking for more good eats (or drinks) in Montreal, try the following: