Coca Cola Company, yes the people who make bubbly, potentially cancer-causing Coke has formulated a new, “healthier” milk. Fairlife milk will be available in stores this December.
I didn’t realize there was a need for such a product. Most people, even Santa, are fairly content with the gold ole’ milk, straight from the cow. I even recently tested raw, unpasteurized milk from a local dairy, and was pleasantly surprised by the creamy texture, rich taste and fresh aroma.
Many health-conscious foodies, vegans and lactose intolerant individuals have turned to alternative milks like soy, almond and coconut. Coca Cola is fighting back with a product that claims to deliver the best of both worlds: healthier, tastier milk.
Fairlife is reported to have 50% more protein and 30% less sugar, AND for those lactose-free people of the world, this milk is made with you in mind. The beverage is made through a cold filtration process, where specific nutrients are kept in the beverage, while others, like fat and lactose, are filtered out.
5 Reasons to be skeptical about a milk made by Coca Cola:
- What’s wrong with skim milk? Or whole milk for that matter?
- All of the nutrients are supposed to go together. Fat isn’t a bad thing, and neither is naturally occurring sugar.
- Almond milk and coconut milk are delish.
- It seems a little odd that a mass producer of soda is offering a “healthy” beverage.
- Do we really need another milk product?
We will have to wait and see. Maybe you can leave a glass of Fairlife with the sugar cookies on Christmas Eve, and have Santa be the ultimate taste-tester.