Coming to college is a huge step for anyone, and as far as universities go SMU is a unique animal. Being in the heart of Dallas is amazing because it means a seemingly endless choice of restaurants to try and things to do. One of my personal favorite things about my own freshman year was football season and the Boulevards that came with it. Boulevards are so fun, and have the power to be elevated to the next level when paired with a stellar brunch beforehand with a group of friends. SMU student's definitely have a list of their favorite spots, and as we reach Boulevard season it becomes a necessary task to always have a great brunch place to turn to.

1. Villa O

Villa O is a classic among SMU brunchers due to the restaurant's yummy italian food and $10 bottomless mimosa deal. It would be rare to find an upperclassman on campus who hasn't abused their drink policy at least once. Grab a plate of pasta for some energy before a long day of fun and football, or split a few dishes among the table. Either way, you'll leave full and happy.

2. The Rustic

cheese, bread
Charlie Foster

If you've been to Dallas at all, you've probably heard of The Rustic. It's absolutely notorious among SMU students, and for a very good reason. Live music, a great atmosphere, and giant popsicle margaritas always make an impression. The jam & toast brunch is nothing to sneer at either, and you get a HUGE spread for a very reasonable price. Give it a try, and don't skip out on the jam mimosas either. 

3. Common Table

sauce, pork, chicken
Corinne Gibson

The Common Table has an amazing set up with lots of patio seating, which is perfect for the warmer months of football season. Their food is hearty and flavorful, and it's a well known fact that their moscow mules are some of the best in town. Don't hesitate to show this spot some love. 

4. Henry's Majestic

chicken
Nicole Cohen

Henry's food is just delicious, plain and simple. From starters to main, they never miss their mark when it comes to a delicious brunch with a tex-mex twist. The mimosa bar is always fun as well, stocked with various juices and fruits. The only thing to keep in mind with this spot is to make a reservation in advance—it's a tight spot and tends to fill up quickly on weekends.

5. Bread Winners

Bread Winners is listed on just about every travel or review site as a top spot in Dallas for brunch, lunch and dinner, and there's certainly a reason: they make a mean pastry. You truly cannot go wrong with any of the baked goods here, and the other dishes are great as well. Bread Winners is a respected favorite of Dallas natives, and you'll absolutely see this when you stop by for a meal. 

6. The Eberhard

The Eberharhas been working on their brunch game lately, and it certainly shows in the mimosa bar complete with fresh fruit, gummies, and other toppings you may never have thought of. It may be more traditionally thought of as a nighttime party spot, but don't discount this gem of a restaurant when it comes to the morning after. They also have some great dinner specials on certain nights, so pay attention to those as well.

7. Penne Pomodoro

Location, location, location. Last but certainly not least is a forever favorite among SMU students, an Italian classic right in Snider Plaza. Dollar mimosa and bellini specials pair perfectly with a bowl of pasta. The best part— they can do pastas and pizzas gluten free, so if you have strict dietary needs Penne is a great place to check out. 

So as Boulevard season approaches, make it count by starting out an amazing day cheering on the mustangs with an even better brunch. You can't go wrong with an SMU favorite. After all, we love our traditions.