Fiber holds more importance in your diet than you realize; it's the silent worker, whose grit goes unnoticed until you stop its consumption. Fiber is a kind of complex carbohydrate, a plant-based nutrient, which unlike other carbohydrates, is not broken down into digestible molecules in our body. Therefore, it passes through our digestive tract unbroken, accomplishing a lot on its way. It is essential to satisfy our daily fiber intake to help the body stay healthy. 

Why Is Fiber Important?

Kartik Sharma

Fiber mainly aids in cleaning out your system since it moves out of our bodies undigested. High fiber diet tends to keep us full for longer, thus, reducing the chances of overeating. It also maintains and regulates cholesterol and blood-sugar levels. 

Fiber is of two types- soluble and insoluble. While soluble fiber slows digestion by turning into a gel in the stomach, and in turn lowering cholesterol and blood glucose level, insoluble fiber, on the other hand, stays as it is all the way to the colon. This helps to make the waste softer and heavier in order to move through the intestines easily. Neither type of fiber is ever absorbed in the body. 

Not eating enough fiber can make one constipated and result in feeling hungry too often. Eating too much of it would mean that the food will move faster through the intestines, not being absorbed adequately. This might result in cramps or bloating. 

However, the relation between satiety and fiber intake is not subjected to question. Thus, we need our daily fiber intake and these foods can help in satisfying just that.

1. Oats

cereal, wheat, oat, sweet
Olivia Faria

An extremely healthy option, oats contain plenty of nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, that make it a brilliant on-the-go breakfast. Apart from making you feel full due to a good amount of fiber content, oats help to regulate the blood-sugar level and manage weight. 

Fiber content: 1 cup contains 5.70 grams

2. Chickpeas

nut, meat, vegetable, legume, chickpeas, garbanzo, cereal, sweet
Jessica Kelly

Chickpeas are full of high fiber, potassium, vitamin C, and vitamin B-6 that enhance heart health. Due to its high fiber content, chickpeas help to regulate the blood-sugar level, which is especially beneficial for people with diabetes. People who consume chickpeas and/or hummus have been shown to have higher nutrient intakes of dietary fiber, vitamin A, vitamin E, vitamin C, polyunsaturated fatty acids, folate, potassium, magnesium, and iron as compared to non-consumers. 

Fiber content: 17 grams in 100 grams of chickpeas

3. Pears

pear, pasture, apple, juice, sweet
Meghan Buonanno

Pears are one of the best fruits when it comes to consuming dietary fiber. They are sweet, juicy and contain high fiber content. They lower the risk of heart disease, diabetes, and obesity. 

Fiber content: 4 grams in 1 medium pear

4. Almonds

nut, almond, walnut, pecan
Sam Fogarty

A natural source of Vitamin E, almonds help to keep blood sugar under control. They contain fewer carbohydrates and more protein and fiber, which is responsible for weight management by making people feel fuller for longer. 

Fiber content: 17.9 grams in 1 cup

5. Raspberries

berry, raspberry, sweet, strawberry
Torey Walsh

Raspberries can help fight against cancer, heart and circulatory disease and age-related decline because they have strong antioxidants such as Vitamin C, quercetin, and gallic acid. They are also found to promote a healthy complexion, overall lower weight, and increased energy.

Fiber content: 7 grams in 100 g of raspberries

6. Chia Seeds and Flaxseed

Mayleen Zhagnay

Chia seeds are known to deliver a good amount of nutrients with low to almost no calories. Chia seeds are loaded with antioxidants and have high protein content. Flaxseed is a good source of fiber, omega-3 fatty acid (or the good fat), and lignans. 

Fiber content: 100 grams of flaxseeds contain 27g of fiber, 100 grams of chia seeds contain 34g of fiber

7. Avocados

Kartik Sharma

Avocados, the fruit in trend, are an excellent source of Vitamins E, K, B6 and C. Thanks to a large amount of fiber content present, avocados are known for keeping blood sugar in check, reducing sugar spikes, and weight management. 

Fiber content: 7 grams in 100g

8. Lentils

legume, vegetable, pea, lentil
Christin Urso

Lentils form an excellent source of protein, magnate, and folate. Combined with high amount of fiber, lentils are a brilliant food choice because of how healthy they are.

Fiber content: 8 grams in 100 g

Fiber forms an important component of a balanced diet, even if it's not digested by our body, it performs other essential functions. You must try to incorporate these fiber rich foods in your diet to make your meals more wholesome.