Anyone who has ever experienced midterms knows the dreaded cloud that descends over campus. Libraries are packed until closing, sleep deprived students walk around in a fog, and campus just suddenly loses its luster. It's easy to feel like you're drowning in papers and tests and projects and that there simply aren't enough hours in the day to get everything done.

pizza, bacon, coffee
Alexandra Oduber

Personally, when I'm feeling disorganized, jumbled, and pressed for time, just figuring out where to start is difficult. Thankfully, I've found a few things that tend to help me keep it together. Here are some tips to stay sane during midterms:

Make A To-Do List

snack, study snack, textbook, notebook, taking notes, notes, studying, citrus, orange

I generally try to make a to-do list on a daily basis. I take five minutes to sit down and physically write out all the tasks I have floating around my head. Not only does it force me to actually decide what is important and needs to be done urgently, but it also allows me to transfer my stress to a physical entity. Plus, it's a pretty good excuse to spend just slightly too much money on a cute planner. Check out some adorable and motivating patterns here to get you through midterm season!

Get Moving

tea, coffee
Alison Weissbrot

This one might seem a little intimidating, but truly, setting aside an hour or even just half and hour to get your body in motion can be very grounding. I like to put my headphones in, turn them all the way up, and completely focus on my time in the gym. It acts as a great social break too, giving me an excuse to spend time on just myself, rather than study groups, clubs, or even social media. It's also been shown that exercise helps increase cognition, and can even help you focus better.  A study break that helps you study better? That's the best of both worlds if you ask me. 

Eat Breakfast!

banana
Jordan Gottlieb

Your mom has said it to you a thousand times, and I'll say it again. When I say breakfast, I don't mean the "on the go crumbled granola bar while sprinting to class"- I'm talking a full on, sit down breakfast. For me, taking the time to sit down and eat a balanced meal before I start my day really solidifies my routine. I'm honestly excited to wake up in the morning because I'm so looking forward to my breakfast.

beer, coffee, tea
Josie Persson

While it is important to concentrate just on the meal and eat mindfully, sometimes I do use breakfast to catch up on some random to-do's, like responding to emails, or updating my calendar. Not to mention, eating a big breakfast will be able to tide you over until lunch time, and you won't feel that jitters when you haven't eaten in close to 6 hours.

Clean Your Space

shellfish, fish, water
Jedd Marrero

Now I'm really starting to sound like your mother. But really, cleaning something and organizing your own personal space can really help you feel like you have it all under control. Whether it's taking out the trash, sweeping up your floor, or organizing your makeup drawer, organizing even just one aspect of your room can give you back a real sense of control. Plus, it's super easy to let your room turn into a disaster room during a really hectic week. Take just 5 minutes to finish one chore: you'll end up feeling much more calm and productive.

Get Off Campus

coffee, beer, tea, wine
Adriana Chavez

While sitting and working in the library for 12 hours at a time may seem studious and productive, you are most definitely hurting yourself when you stay in one spot for too long. Not to mention that there are a ton of other students feeling just as stressed and overwhelmed as you. Escape this atmosphere and get to a local coffee shop, a park or running trail nearby, or a new restaurant for a relaxing dinner. Getting away from campus for even just an hour will leave you feeling refreshed and recharged. Not to mention, it'll remind you that there is more to life than midterms. Check out these 10 best coffee shops around Nashville to get inspired!

Bonus: Treat Yourself!

bacon
Olivia Heuiyoung Park

At the end of a particularly stressful week, I like to treat myself with a night out, a pint of my favorite ice cream, or an online shopping spree. Anything that you love or enjoy will do! You've survived hell week, trust me, you deserve this.