The other day I was skimming across YouTube as I usually do before I go to sleep and I came across a video that caught my attention featuring Kristen Bell. The video was titled "Love Ballad To Your Therapist" and usually when I come across a video about mental health, I have to click on it.

Not only is a skit for Funny or Die, but it also features Kristen Bell, who is known for voicing Anna in "Frozen" and Yvette Nicole Brown, who you would likely recognize from her role as Helen on "Drake and Josh."

The music video is a take on clients "secret" opinions towards their therapist and the stuff they think that they could never actually admit. Most of the lyrics and scenarios in the song are relatable for the weekly therapy person like myself, and I am sure you will be able to find something you can relate to if you have ever gone to therapy. 

Kristen Bell

Bell opened up to the public early last year about her struggles with mental health. In an interview with Motto, Bell said "Here’s the thing: For me, depression is not sadness. It’s not having a bad day and needing a hug. It gave me a complete and utter sense of isolation and loneliness. Its debilitation was all-consuming, and it shut down my mental circuit board. I felt worthless, like I had nothing to offer, like I was a failure. Now, after seeking help, I can see that those thoughts, of course, couldn’t have been more wrong. It’s important for me to be candid about this so people in a similar situation can realize that they are not worthless and that they do have something to offer. We all do." 

Ever since I have learned about Bell's struggles with mental health, I have felt a sense of comfort and relief in the fact that I am not the only one that struggles with anxiety and depression. I admire the fact that Kristen put a spotlight on mental health because in the media it is a taboo subject and the only way to decrease the stigma around it is to make people talk about it. 

Since Bell has opened up the conversation about mental health, I thought it would only be fitting to talk about what therapy has done for me and why I suggest everyone to see a therapist at some point in their lives if needed.

1. No Judgment

Therapy is probably the only place where you can go and actually spill out whatever is on your mind and not receive any judgment. The only judgment you get is from yourself, which is one of the many subjects that a therapist can help you to steer away from. For me, I have talked about many different topics with my therapist that I would have never talked about even with my closest friends and family. 

A therapist is not biased because they do not know you personally and do not know your situation as a family or friend would. It is actually very comforting to know that you can vent to a person who is there to listen to you and actually wants you to resolve and come to terms with what you are dealing with. 

2. Self-Care

Self-care is one of the most important things that a person can do for themselves, but to some extent, it seems to go forgotten in the midst of everyday life. Self-care involves the act of engaging in activities and behavior that one enjoys and can benefit from which will improve their overall mood and well being. 

Before going to therapy, I did not even know what self-care was. I thought self-care was for the people who did not really have anything better to do with their time, but after trying it for myself, I do not think I could live a happy life without it. 

For me self-care consists of eating healthy, working out, coloring, going to therapy, taking medication, socializing, and pampering myself. Everyone's self-care routine is going to be different based on their needs and interests, but the main goal is to find and do things for your body and mind that promote well being and relaxation. 

One of the great things about going to see a therapist, is they can easily point out the areas of your life where you are doing well and then those where you could use improvement. A therapist is able to give you suggestions as from what you should do like going to the gym a few days a week to using a face mask while listening to ocean waves. 

A therapist will sometimes give self-care "homework" assignments to their clients to try during the course of the week, and usually clients report back to their therapist how they felt after completing the tasks. I have done this and I have realized what works for me and what doesn't. 

3. Face Your Fears 

A therapist is trained to help you acknowledge your fears and help you to get through them. For me, I had a fear of going to the gym because I was scared to be judged by others. My therapist helped me to realize that nobody at the gym really cares about what I am doing, but instead they are focused on finishing their own workout. My therapist assigned me a work, to go to the gym on my own. The first time I did it, I could only stay for 5 minutes without having a panic attack. Now, after going several times, I can go for an hour by myself with no problem which is something I would not have been able to do if it weren't for my therapist.  

Final Thoughts

There are numerous ways a therapist can benefit you from helping you figure out a solution to a problem to just being there during tough times when you just need somebody to talk to who is actually invested in you. 

Therapy can be pretty expensive, but most colleges have resources and counseling centers on their campus which is either free or at a low cost for its students. Some schools also host group sessions for free of charge for students ranging from grief to mindfulness as well. 

If you are hesitant about going to therapy, just try to go once and see how you feel. If you think it could be beneficial for you, I advise you to stick it out because you never know what you are going to achieve.