Southern California is famous for beaches, sun, and traffic. As someone born and raised in San Diego, I argue that flavorful and clean-eating approved restaurants should be added to that list. There are incredible places up and down the beautiful coast that are full of vegan, vegetarian, and clean-eating dishes that will help you feel energized. 

Whether you are trying to eat cleaner in 2017 or want some delicious places to visit for your next trip to Southern California, here are my top ten clean-eating spots to eat in SoCal.

1. Veggie Grill

If you want to step into the best realm of tasty clean-eating meals, check out Veggie Grill. Everything on their menu is vegan and they have seasonal dishes in order to provide the freshest ingredients.

They have countless locations all of SoCal, so you are never too far away from this popular California chain. If you're ordering for the first time, definitely try the Santa Fe Crispy Chickin' Sandwich, Mondo Nachos, or the Thai Chickin' Wrap.

2. The Choice Juicery

This local gem features a smaller variety of food and juices, but each of their options is completely tasty and nutritious. The Choice stuffs their bottles and bowls with superfoods and ingredients that fill you up but don't make you want to take a nap afterward. My personal favorite bottled beverage is the Liquid Gold Turmeric Milk, and I recommend pairing it with their Superfood Banana Muffin.

3. Swami's Cafe

If you are looking for a healthy restaurant to please both vegans and carnivores alike, check out Swami's Cafe. With nine locations around the San Diego area, their menu is both nutritious and flavorful. Their menu varies by location but always has a variety of smoothie bowls, burritos, and salads to satisfy any taste bud.

4. Cafe Gratitude

Cafe Gratitude is not only one of the most popular vegan restaurants in California but also promotes positivity and self-love with their healthy food. They currently have five locations in Southern California. Rather than ordering grilled polenta or an eggplant parmesan panini, you have to say "I am warm-hearted" or "I am awesome" as those adjectives are the names of the dishes.

5. Gracias Madre

The sister restaurant of Cafe Gratitude, Gracias Madre is a flavorful take on vegan Mexican food. Their menu features standard Mexican fares such as enchiladas and burritos. However, they put a plant-based, clean-eating twist on typically heavy dishes.

6. Poké Wave

While Poke may be a trend from 2016, it is still riding high and mighty in Southern California. With the ocean right next door, it's not a surprise that Poké Wave offers some of the freshest ingredients for their poké bowls. It is a make-your-own style and yelp reviews rave about the price and quality of their simple but delicious bowls.

7. Nekter Juice Bar

This healthy and energizing juice bar has several locations in SoCal. They feature a variety of fresh cold-pressed juices and smoothie bowls to help with your goal of eating (or drinking) more fruits and veggies.

8. Urbane Cafe

Specializing in sandwiches and salads, this family owned cafe uses the freshest ingredients to produce the tastiest dishes. Their bread is made in-store and they have many options to satisfy all dietary needs and preferences. 

9. Native Foods Cafe

With locations ranging from Southern California to Chicago, this all-vegan restaurant is an extremely popular food destination. Their menu includes salads, sandwiches, and wraps along with smoothie bowls and other Californian standards. 

10. Beesalt Balcony

If you are looking for a more Mediterranean taste, try Beesalt Balcony. Based in the San Diego area, their innovative chefs and locally grown produce make for a fresh Greek taste. You can enjoy their tzatziki and flatbread or their lamb chops with a beautiful view of the ocean.

Whether you are on the prowl for some new date night ideas or simply looking for places to eat out without breaking your resolutions, definitely give these restaurants a try.