My family is from Jersey so whenever we go back to visit relatives I need to get a Taylor Ham, egg and cheese sandwich. It is greasy, filling and always hits the spot. I have amazing memories of eating these sandwiches in diners with my grandparents, aunts and uncles, and parents.

Some people call it “pork roll,” but my family is from North Jersey so we call it Taylor Ham. If you don’t think there is a big difference, talk to someone from Jersey.

Since you can’t get Taylor Ham in DC, I’ve taken to recreating my childhood in my apartment. This sandwich will be able to get you through a hangover, finals and whatever life throws at you, it is just that good. Don’t believe me? Then read this.

The Famous Taylor Ham, Egg and Cheese Sandwich

• Prep Time:3 minutes
  • Cook Time:7 minutes
  • Total Time:10 minutes

• 1 Roll
  • 1 Egg
  • 1 Slice of American Cheese
  • 2 Slices of Taylor Ham
  • 1 teaspoon Butter
Photo By Kara Schiaparelli

Cut roll in half.

Photo By Kara Schiaparelli

Make 4 small cuts around the Taylor Ham slices.

#SpoonTip: This prevents the ham from curling in the pan.

Photo By Kara Schiaparelli

Put the Taylor Ham on the pan to start browning it (it’s already cooked so you are just heating it up).

Photo By Kara Schiaparelli

Cook your egg to your liking. I think over easy is the best because then you get the runny yolk.

#SpoonTip: Here is an old diner trick that my dad taught me: instead of flipping the egg to cook the top and risk breaking it, pour a little bit of water into the pan and cover the pan. This creates steam which cooks the top of the egg without overcooking it.

Photo By Kara Schiaparelli

Top the Taylor Ham with cheese so it starts to melt.

Photo By Kara Schiaparelli

Toast your bread.

Photo By Kara Schiaparelli

Assemble the sandwich of your dreams.

Photo By Kara Schiaparelli

Enjoy!

Photo By Kara Schiaparelli