These frigid winter days call for a hot soup like this. This vegetable curry combines the flavors of Thailand with some of winter’s best vegetables. Oh and it’s healthy, too, which means you can feel guilt-free indulging in that craving for all things chocolatey and sweet that winter inevitably seems to bring with it.

Feel free to swap out the vegetables for any you’d prefer; this dish can handle whatever veggies you throw at it and still taste awesome. Bonus: you’ll have leftovers for days that you can freeze for later or keep in the fridge and have at hand for lunch or dinner. If you’re content with routine like I am, you’ll find yourself reaching for a bowl of this for lunch and dinner every day until the last drop of coconut broth is gone. Don’t judge.

Medium

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: About 55 minutes

Servings: 6

1 can light coconut milk
3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 can diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 medium sweet potato
½ kabocha squash (what is that?) or other type of sweet squash
½ head of cauliflower
1 medium head of broccoli
1 small onion
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
2 teaspoons curry powder
Juice from 1/2 lemon (or 2 – 3 teaspoons lemon juice)
Salt and pepper

thai

Photo by Rae Steinbach

1. Chop sweet potato and squash into approximately 1-inch pieces and place together in a bowl.

2. Break down cauliflower and broccoli into small florets and place together in a bowl along with red and green peppers, thinly sliced, and onion, quartered into about 1-inch pieces.

thai

Photo by Rae Steinbach

3. In a large pot over medium-high heat, bring vegetable broth, coconut milk, soy sauce and diced tomatoes to a boil. Add sweet potato and squash and reduce heat to medium, continuing to simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

4. Add ginger, curry powder, lemon juice and rest of the vegetables and cook for about another 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.

5. Leave on low heat until ready to serve then slurp your little heart out.

thai

Photo by Rae Steinbach

Geared up for more recipes for winter? So are we: