While abroad, happy hour is every hour. The drinking culture in Italy is vastly different from the image of having a drink in the U.S. With every meal, the waiter or waitress expects you to order an alcoholic drink to pair with your food. How could you resist trying to be a part of the culture and join in on ordering a drink with your meal? Simple, you don’t!

If you find yourself planning a trip to Bologna, Italy, then these drinks are the perfect drinks to add to that must-try list I’m sure you’re creating (if you're of drinking age, of course).

If you aren’t planning a trip to Bologna yet, hopefully, these drinks will change your mind.

One of the most iconic drinks in Europe is a spritz, and more specifically, an Aperol Spritz is seen at almost every restaurant table you walk by. Priced at € 7.50, the Aperol Spritz from Pan8 not only looks like a deep sunset, but it also tastes like one. The slice of lemon adds to the drink adds to the citrusy taste while complementing its bittersweet orange flavor at the bottom of the glass. It's a perfect drink to refresh your soul from a long, hot day.

Amanda Clark

Aperol’s counterpart, the Campari Spritz, is its stronger competitor. Adesso Paste Car Ristorante's Campari Spritz, priced at € 8, is a lot stronger than an Aperol Spritz. It has an herbal, almost medicine taste with a complex bitterness — there are hints of orange and ginseng. For any cocktail person out there, you’ll want to stay away from this drink, but for any classic drink lover who wants a small hint of cherries and oranges, this is the drink for you.

Amanda Clark

A lesser-known spritz someone can find (and should) is the Green Spritz. Priced at € 6 from 051-Osteria, you’ll be able to find a drink that resembles a green apple. That first sip might turn you away from the drink, but after a couple more sips, this drink grows on you to be one that’s worth a second glass. I personally thought it's closer to a green apple-type flavoring; however, some of my tablemates who ordered the same drink tasted more of a hint of lime. This drink will get your taste buds screaming for more.

Amanda Clark

Since you’re in Italy, it’s a must to order limoncello, but how about a spritz version of it? Matterello’s Limoncello Spritz, priced at € 7, is the perfect sparkling alcoholic lemonade. Any fan of lemon, whether it’s actual lemons or just lemon flavoring, will not be disappointed with this drink. It teleports you back to a kid ordering a glass of lemonade from a lemonade stand, but of course, this isn’t the same kind as anyone in the U.S. under 21 wouldn’t be allowed to have a glass. It’s the perfect and one of the most refreshing spiked summer drinks to have.

Amanda Clark

No matter how good the Limoncello Spritz is, let’s dive deeper into the Italian culture and get a Limoncello Shot. Trattoria Pizzeria La Mela’s Limoncello Shot would be the first shot anyone new to shots should take. It’s sweet and sour at the same time but doesn’t burn. However, don’t be an American and take the shot in one gulp. Italians sip it little by little until it’s gone, as it tastes like a creamier and colder lemonade.

Amanda Clark

Trattoria Pizzeria La Mela also has a great wine collection. Its Sangiovese di Romagna Superiore “S” of Fattoria Monticino Rosso isn’t as bitter as most red wines are, but it definitely isn’t sweet. I’m no wine expert, but this would be one I order again. Immediately, the taste shines through, bursting out the flavor of sour cherries and berries along with earthy tones to balance out the wine. But if red wine isn’t for you, then the restaurant’s Bacco and Co Argo Pignoletto Frizzante sparkling white wine will be the order for you. On the sweeter side, this wine enlightens your taste buds with a light, airy texture. The sparkling white wine is my preference of choice, but both are great options to pair with your meal.

Another sparkling white wine option that became my favorite drink in Europe is Prosecco. Regina Sofia's Rebuli Brut Valdobbiadene Prosecco Superiore DOCG is priced at € 20 a bottle and € 5 a glass. If your whole table wants Prosecco, I suggest splitting a bottle, as this is delicious to pair with my meal. Being a lot sweeter than its cousin Champagne, a cocktail person has now found their go-to wine selection.

Amanda Clark

Tosti’s Denominazione di Origine Controllata Prosecco is another must-try. Priced at € 22 a bottle and € 6 a glass, this Prosecco from Piano Piano truly brought out the flavor of a light citrus sparkling white wine. Prosecco has medium to high acidity, and you’ll be able to taste a fruity level of notes.

Amanda Clark

Sticking to the sweeter side of the spiked drink list, mojitos are the way to go for any sweet tooth. Although the mojitos from Bruscè might’ve had a little too much sugar for me, the flavors are delicious. When it comes to the sugar, it isn’t mixed all the way, so there is a ton of sugar just on the bottom of each glass, but with the proper mixture, these could have been one of the best drinks on my trip. The Mango Mojito, priced at € 8, is exactly as the name describes it — mango. If you love mango, this is the drink for you because all you taste is mango; you don’t even taste the alcohol. As for the Red Fruit Mojito, priced at € 9, think of a mixed berry nonalcoholic drink — that’s right, you don’t taste the alcohol for this one either. Unfortunately, it’s hard to truly taste these ones when, with every sip, there are what feels like teaspoons of sugar rushing to the top.

Amanda Clark

One drink that doesn't have any sugar is Castiglione Ristorante Pizzeria’s Negroni. I felt very mature drinking the Negroni as it's quite bitter. It’s said that the vermouth and orange garnish gives the drink a sweetness to balance out the gin, but I would disagree. All I taste is bitterness, but it’s still a good drink to cool off with.

Amanda Clark

A similar drink to the Negroni, but not nearly as bitter and twice the size (but with less alcohol content), is Serre dei Giardini Margherita's Milano Torino, which is priced at € 7. It’s said that this drink is the closest you’ll get to a vintage Negroni, and it has more of a bitter taste. However, I would argue this drink tastes the same, with just a touch less of a bitter taste and a little more of an iced tea look. It could just be because my bartender added more of the syrup compared to the ingredients that contribute to the bitterness, and because of that, this is, in my opinion, a better option than the Negroni.

Amanda Clark

Fior d'Agrume is a drink that also looks like the Negroni, but it’s nonalcoholic and basically a different type of iced tea — plus it’s cheaper, being priced at € 5.  Cafe Aroma's description said it’s made of “cold brew, homemade elderberry, and ginger syrup, and a touch of lemon juice.” Yet I would have to let my tastebuds talk and say it didn’t taste like any cold brew coffee, so I’m led to believe that it could just mean an ice drink because most drinks in Europe don’t come with ice. Despite the mix-up in what would be in the drink, the Fior d'Agrume is great to pair with any breakfast item.

Amanda Clark

Lastly, Empire Pub's Scivolo, or what you could call a Vodka Strawberry lemonade cocktail, is the perfect girly cocktail for anyone visiting a bar. It’s priced at € 7 and tastes extremely sweet to the point where you can't tell if it's spiked. The strawberry lemonade flavoring is the high point for this drink and will be something I'd order again.