Nestled into Berkeley’s Graduate Hotel with a charmingly designed storefront facing Durant Avenue is Poindexter Coffee. Poindexter, aptly defined as an academic individual, is the perfect spot for intellectual Berkeley students to stop by. Offering only to-go options, Poindexter is for students on the way to or from class: a place to grab a beverage or snack while on the move. The space was previously meant for a location of San Francisco’s Tartine Bakery but remained empty throughout the COVID-19 pandemic until it finally opened in August of this year. Now, after a full redesign complete with an artwork-lined interior, a new paint job, and a cozy ambiance, Poindexter Coffee is officially open for business.

Steven Huang

Upon walking inside Poindexter, the design elements of the cafe are at the forefront. For a grab-n-go coffee shop, the storefront is lovely. Walking around, I was particularly struck by the green paintwork on the countertops, which brightens up the area and evokes the spirit of a Parisian cafe. The exposed rafters and unique light fixtures also help to brighten up the space. The baked goods case is immediately eye-catching—its assortment of pastries sourced directly from Oakland's own Starter Bakery are incredibly enticing!

Steven Huang

Now, let's get to what we’re all here for: the food and beverages. We had the pleasure of trying a few of the standout items from Poindexter’s menu, including their stuffed waffles and breakfast sandwiches. The stuffed waffle, which we ordered with Nutella and strawberries, is the perfect decadent breakfast treat. The dish is two waffles—crispy on the outside yet fluffy on the inside—sandwiching a generous helping of Nutella and fresh-cut strawberries and dusted on top with powdered sugar. More of a waffle sandwich than a truly stuffed waffle, the dish is rich and sweet. And if you aren’t a sweet breakfast person, Poindexter is open until 1 pm, making this the perfect post-lunch dessert. What’s so spectacular about this dish is ultimately the waffles themselves. They aren’t too dense, a problem that can sink a baked good, making it chewy or tough. Instead, these waffles are warm and not too sweet, aptly balancing out the rich filling. The waffle also comes with the options of a salted twist on the classic PB&J as well as the ham & cheese, both perfect for those who crave something more savory in the morning.

Steven Huang

In addition to the stuffed waffle, we also tried Poindexter’s breakfast sandwich. The epitome of a perfect breakfast served on a brioche bun, it has everything you’d hope for from a sandwich: egg, cheese, and your choice between bacon, sausage, and vegan chorizo. Under the brioche bun, the fillings absolutely shine. The sandwich perfectly toes the line between savory and sweet—it’s a sandwich that’s hearty without being heavy, something that students and guests at the Graduate alike can eat as they explore Berkeley.

Steven Huang

Poindexter’s extensive beverage selection, featuring coffee from Saint Frank's in San Francisco, is equally as enticing. The coffee is smooth and floral, and Poindexter’s baristas are skilled in the art of latte-making. The drink offerings are vast, perfect for those who want darker and stronger or lighter drinks. They also have a variety of non-coffee beverages including matcha, chai, and hot chocolate. I highly recommend their iced vanilla latte! It was perfectly sweet and strong, and the ratio of vanilla to coffee to milk was impeccable.

Steven Huang

Whether you’re a Berkeley student or a guest at the Graduate, Poindexter is the place to go for a quick, delicious bite and a refreshing beverage. It’s only a quick walk from the campus and perfect for those always on the go. Be sure to stop by!