When in Florence, Italy, make sure to hunt down at least one buchette del vino, also known as wine windows.

This fun aspect of Florence involves little windows outside certain local restaurants where people could purchase wine through that small window, receive it, and pay for it all right there. These windows have been used for hundreds of years and originated as a way to sell wine, even during the epidemic in the 1600s.

Since I was only going to be in Florence once, I made sure to find a restaurant that served two things I could only get in Italy (mainly Florence): a Florentine steak and a wine window.

When I got to Cantina de Pucci, the wine window was prominent, as it was the first thing I saw when approaching the restaurant. The window is the perfect size for a wine glass to be transported through. Once the window was spotted, I went over to the window and got in line. Now, I’m not sure exactly what the specific kind of wine I ordered since there was no menu. But the first time there, I asked for white wine. Then, after eating dinner at the restaurant, I had to go back and do it again, this time ordering rosé.

A note to remember is, yes, this is an exciting thing to do, and you will be caught in the moment. But this is also a normal job for the bartender. Make sure to have your payment ready to pay through the window once the glass is handed to you, and return the wine glass once finished. Or, if you're eating at the restaurant as well, let the bartender know so he knows you're taking the glass into the restaurant.

Overall, though, this is an experience you won't want to miss.

Amanda Clark

I don’t know if it was just because I ordered it through the window to get that special experience, but it was the best non-sparking white wine I had. I tasted the crisp citrus notes that most white wines have, and the smell had hints of a floral flavoring. It was cold and refreshing. The wine itself felt magical during the moment.

I would have to say the same about the rosé — it was the best rosé I’ve had, and I can’t tell if it was because of the experience or the selection chosen. However, for this glass, I am leaning more toward the specific glass. It was the sweetest rosé I’ve had, and the berry flavoring really shined through. The hints of strawberry and grapefruit were the two stars of this rosé while being on the lighter side of wines.

I wish I asked what the kind of each wine was when ordering them because it is a wine I would buy for a dinner night with friends coming over.

If you get the chance to travel to Florence, make sure to go to Cantina de Pucci because it is one of the best restaurants I’ve been to, and the wine window makes for a great experience.

Amanda Clark