You know those mornings when your alarm “doesn’t go off” and you are way too late to even think about grabbing breakfast? Never fear, you no longer have an excuse to skip breakfast anymore. Thanks to this mind-blowingly easy recipe you don’t even have to think about preparing a meal in the morning. All you have to do is simply put seven ingredients into a mason jar and stuff it into the refrigerator the night before. So simple, it almost seems too good to be true. What’s different about this recipe is the addition of chia seeds. You know what they say: a tablespoon of chia seeds a day keeps the doctor away. Chia seeds are a great source of protein, help to make you feel fuller faster and also help to slow down your digestion. Plus, they help to keep your heart healthy and your bones and teeth strong.

Easy

Prep Time: 3 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 13 minutes (plus leaving it in the fridge overnight)

Serving: 1 person per mason jar

1 cup of old fashioned oats
1 tablespoon chia seeds (found at Whole Foods)
1/3 cup Greek yogurt
1 cup low-fat milk
1/3 cup diced mango
1/2 tablespoon of honey
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

1. Pour 1 cup of oats into a mason jar.

Oats

Photo by Kassie McIntyre

2. Pour 1 tablespoon of chia seeds on top of the oats in the mason jar.

Chia Seeds on Top

Photo by Kassie McIntyre

3. Slather the Greek yogurt right on top of the chia seeds.

Greek Yogurt on Top

Photo by Kassie McIntyre

4. Pour in 1 cup of milk. I would suggest doing two ½ cups and pouring a 1/2 cup at a time because it takes a while for the milk to seep through the oats all the way to the bottom of the jar.

Milk on Top

Photo by Kassie McIntyre

5. To mix, twist on the top of the mason jar and shake the ingredients together. Make sure to not fill the ingredients to the top so they can have room to mix together.

The Lid/Shaking to mix ingredients

Photo by Kassie McIntyre

6. Drizzle honey into the mason jar and stir with a spoon. Sprinkle the vanilla extract into the mason jar and stir as well.

Honey and Almond Extract

Photo by Kassie McIntyre

7. Stick the chunks of mango into the mixture and give it a stir.

Mango Oatmeal Finished Product

Photo by Kassie McIntyre

8. Wake up those taste buds and enjoy.

Mango Oatmeal

Photo by Kassie McIntyre

Other flavor ideas include: blueberry maple, raspberry vanilla and banana with peanut butter.

Blueberry, Raspberry, Banana, Mango Oatmeal

Photo by Kassie McIntyre

Raspberry Oatmeal

Photo by Kassie McIntyre

Blueberry Oatmeal

Photo by Kassie McIntyre