We’ve all heard of kale—it literally popped up out of nowhere in the past few years. It’s one of those new trendy superfoods. While some are unsure of its benefits, others are firm believers of the kale movement.

Although kale has a bitter taste, it is extremely nutritious and when snuck in properly, you can barely taste it. Before we get into some of our favourite kale recipes, let’s talk about the benefits of kale:

• High concentrations of Vitamin A, K and C, all of which are excellent antioxidants and have a wide variety of benefits including: growth, development and reducing the risk of cancer
  • Rich in minerals, such as copper, potassium, manganese, phosphorus and iron
  • Lowers blood cholesterol levels
  • Reduces risks of heart disease

You can literally put kale in EVERYTHING, and it will taste so good. You can add it into pasta sauces, soups, smoothies and even these turkey quinoa meatballs.

kale

Gif courtesy of tumblr.com

Medium

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
Total Time: 30-35 minutes

Servings: 4

2 garlic cloves
1 pinch salt and pepper
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon crushed chili flakes
5 chives
1 jalapeño
1 cup kale
1 cup spinach
1 yellow onion
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 lb. extra lean ground turkey
½ cup breadcrumbs
1 cup quinoa
3 large eggs

Directions:
1. Finely chop garlic, onion, kale, spinach, chives and jalapeño.

kale

Photo by Crisanta Simon

2. Put chopped vegetables into a bowl with ground turkey. Add tomato paste, eggs and a handful of breadcrumbs to mixture.

kale

Photo by Crisanta Simon

3. Cook quinoa and once cooled, add to mixture (find directions on how to cook quinoa here).

kale

Photo by Kelda Beljon

4. Season with salt, pepper, chili powder and crushed chili flakes.

kale

Photo by Lauren Thiersch

5. Use your hands and mix the contents of the bowl.

6. Spoon out bits of mixture and shape into a ball.

kale

Photo by Tiffany Zau

7. Put a skillet on medium-high and add butter. Add meatballs to the skillet once the butter starts to sizzle.

kale

Photo by Crisanta Simon

10. Cook until golden brown on all sides (approximately 6-7 minutes on each side).
Tip: lower the heat just a bit, so they don’t burn.

To enjoy this even more, add it to a bowl of spaghetti with rosé sauce, green & yellow zucchini, and lots of cheese.

kale

Photo by Crisanta Simon

Like this? We figured. Why don’t you pin it?

kale

Photo by Joy Oresajo, Design by Grace Hwang

If you’re new to the kale movement educate yourself with these articles